skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Canceled Weddng
Created On Friday October 05, 2012 10:47 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

cakes06
Posted: Friday October 05, 2012 10:47 PM
View users profile

Take it from me, don't give in and let the bride pay before the actual due date. It's too painful to have to refund the money otherwise. I did just that for a Dec. 1st wedding and she wanted to pay the full balance ahead of time . I usually insist on waiting until that two week mark before the wedding because then, if it cancels, there's no obligation to refund the money. Live and learn. I should know better. I'm not obligated to return the 50$ booking fee but that 307$ balance is what I'm kicking myself in the hind end about.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Saturday October 06, 2012 3:17 AM

That's too bad. The only wedding I've had cancelled was cancelled the day after the cake was ordered (by phone with no money involved) I felt so bad for the bride's mother who was crying when she called me.

Report Violation

Bottom

preetscake
Posted: Saturday October 06, 2012 8:08 AM

Sorry Dana!It is always hard to refund,isn't it? I had this happened once .. the groom dumped the bride one week before the wedding...the balance was paid off. But she called and was so miserable,her parents had lost a lot of money on everything ..I just refunded her 50% of the total price(luckily I had not baked any tiers or bought anything for that cake)...goodwill!

Report Violation

Bottom

tortnaya
Posted: Saturday October 06, 2012 10:40 AM

Ouch. I am sorry, Dana, this happened to you. I had it happened twice when I actually made cakes for weddings and they were not paid for at all (we expected people to pay at pick-up time) and nobody showed up to pick them up and telephones, of course, would not answer. One of them I was able to sell, but the other went into the garbage.

Report Violation

Bottom

CollectorEJ
Posted: Saturday October 06, 2012 3:00 PM
View users profile

I've always gotten the money when I delivered the cake -- the only time I took a deposit on a cake, the back of
the cake fell off on the drive to deliver the cake. I've never taken a deposit since that cake. But my cakes have never been that expensive -- I did the cakes more because I enjoyed doing them, it wasn't a business. If I did have a business I would deposit the money in an account so it would be available if this happened. I guess this would be one of those life lessons that we all have to learn.

Report Violation

Bottom

cami5271
Posted: Sunday October 07, 2012 9:01 AM
View users profile

I know what you mean! I've had it happen once and I refunded the entire $460...I just felt so bad for her.

Report Violation

Bottom

mjsoldano
Posted: Sunday October 07, 2012 3:15 PM

i'm sure that would sting. sorry it had to happen to you, dana.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Sunday October 07, 2012 7:17 PM
View users profile

When I get full payment well in advance of the event I put it away with the contract until it's time to start the preparations for the cake..not tempted to spend it..
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

susychpstk
Posted: Sunday October 07, 2012 8:02 PM
View users profile

Ow! So sorry Dana!

Report Violation

Bottom

youna
Posted: Monday October 22, 2012 9:27 PM

Sorry to hear it.

Report Violation

Bottom

MichelleRhett
Posted: Wednesday October 24, 2012 9:19 PM

Sorry to hear that! The story behind the cancel is so sad! Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: