skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Lace Wedding Cake 09-29-12 and a question
Created On Monday October 01, 2012 5:00 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

jabrotz
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 5:00 PM

Hello everyone. This was a cake that went from NY to TN - in the back seat of our car...using the wonderful pipe and flange method. I will be forever grateful to Cammie and others that took the time to document and share this technique. Everyone could not believe that this cake travelled 811 miles all put together!

I still am having some 'shrinkage' and 'puckering' on my buttercream as it dries. You can see on the top layer the little creases that appear after a day of drying. I was so frustrated but didn't want to ruin the fondant lace mold borders...so I left it alone. I use Sharon Zambito's buttercream recipe, but instead of the coffee creamer she recommends, I use half/n/half as my liquid, to hopefully add some moisture and make it less dry. It goes on wonderful and dries like this! Anyone have this issue, or have any recommendations for improvement? Thanks for looking!

lace cake2.JPG lace cake2.JPG  (133 KB)
lace cake21.JPG lace cake21.JPG  (129 KB)
lace cake31.JPG lace cake31.JPG  (134 KB)
lace cake4.JPG lace cake4.JPG  (138 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

gmoakes01
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 5:30 PM
View users profile

Your cake is beautiful! So glad the pipe and flange system helped you transport it safely.
I think, as others always say, we are our own worst critic. Whatever flaws you see, others definitely didn't. The lace trims are beautiful and so are the flowers.

Report Violation

Bottom

tortnaya
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 6:09 PM

Your cake is fantastic! It reminded of the royal wedding. Awesome work! So gorgeous!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 6:13 PM

that happens with mine sometimes too....Neverless your cake is a thing of beauty!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

preetscake
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 7:46 PM

Beautiful cake!I love lace designs! Gotta look into pipe and flange method...

Report Violation

Bottom

scubabaker
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 8:46 PM
View users profile

Your cake is just beautiful! Well done.

Report Violation

Bottom

tlh
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 9:16 PM

Very pretty!

Report Violation

Bottom

Konfections
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 10:53 PM

Wow, that is beautiful! I use Sharon Zamito's recipe as well but I use more hot liquid than she does and it goes on wonderfully and is very smooth, and did not pucker when drying. When I bought her video I had problems with the first batch that I made and I sent her an email, she sent me an email back telling me what I did wrong, so if you're having problems, send her an email, she does respond! Can't believe that you drove from NY to TN and it looked that amazing!!

Report Violation

Bottom

jabrotz
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 8:27 AM

Thank you everyone. Konfections: Great idea about emailing Sharon Zambito. I will do that! Thanks again.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 10:19 AM
View users profile

Gorgeous cake! You did a wonderful job and I love the lace look.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 10:24 AM
View users profile

It is a gorgeous cake.

It looks perhaps like you've got a lip of frosting at the top of the top tier. This can be caused due to a bit too much frosting being at the top, and it settling just a bit. The rippling looks like your spatula marks, not sure though.

Did you travel with the topper on, or did you put that on once you got to the venue? Was the lip there pre-topper or post-topper? If post, then the weight of the topper could also have made the top bit of frosting to move down a bit, causing that lip.

There is a couple of ideas that might have caused it.

Report Violation

Bottom

SHERRI71373
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 10:25 AM

Beautiful work!! the cake is wonderful. Wow over 800 miles!!! I freak out when I have to transport a 2 tier across town lol

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 10:25 AM
View users profile

Another thought, did you have bubble tea straws or dowels under the topper to support its weight?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 10:46 AM
View users profile

The cake is just gorgeous. Spooky might be on to something as regards the puckering, but not knowing what the topper is made of and how heavy it was it is hard to say, but definitely something to think about. The lace is beautiful. Which mold did you purchase for it?

The overall cake is so stunning that I doubt anyone was looking at any small flaws. We see them; no one else does. It is hard to remember that when you're the baker/decorator but that is the truth.

Report Violation

Bottom

jabrotz
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 12:21 PM

Thank you everyone.

Spooky_789 and cakedujour - thank you so much for your ideas. The topper was made from fondant...they were individual hand-made roses brushed with pearl lustre. I did not have straws under them...but they were not heavy and I applied them on site. They did not travel on the top layer. The top layer did not travel with the rest of the cake....I slid that one layer over the top when I arrived at the venue.

I did not leave those as spatula marks (wish they were that easy to smooth over!) - but rather those developed as the cake sat overnite and as the frosting 'shrunk' to the sides of the cake as it dried, those puckers developed. They were there before I ever left my driveway...so not the result of travelling. The lip of frosting is just that I put too much frosting on...I need to practice that. I seem to spend much time moving frosting around from sides to top, top to sides. Sharon reviews that on her video - Perfecting Buttercream...I need to review it again.

Cakedujour - I got the lace molds by searching online. If you google 'rosebakes' and then go to 'images' on your search choices, you'll see a lace cake pic with some of these molds. It will take you to her blog, and then you can see the list of lace molds she used. She got them from a variety of places. Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to comment and offer suggestions. I appreciate it in hopes to improve!

Report Violation

Bottom

lmeade84
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 12:58 PM

Your cake is lovely

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 3:28 PM
View users profile

What a fantastic cake and just love the lace designs..
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 3:37 PM
View users profile

Did the cake have time to settle completely before you iced it?

Report Violation

Bottom

Teresa0401
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 3:46 PM

Beautiful cake well done, I love your lace. I love cakes like this especially white on white, great job.

Report Violation

Bottom

CollectorEJ
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 6:12 PM
View users profile

What a beautiful cake -- the lace is wonderful. As other have said we are our own worst critics.

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: