What a busy weekend it was! 3 weddings; 2 small cupcake weddings and this sunflower wedding cake...I've earned my keep
Sunflower Wedding Cake:
Three tiered ivory buttercream iced cake with airbrushed scrolls in chocolate and wine colors, hand-formed sugar sunflowers, real frosted grapes accented with hand-formed and dusted sugarpaste grape leaves and vines!
The bride presented me with an inspiration photo of a fondant iced version of this cake, with hand-painted scrolls, but didn't want to spend the cost for fondant. I was afraid to paint on buttercream, although I know it can be done...when I've tried before, despite chilling the cake, it still ate through my buttercream. I guess I have a hard touch and I'm not very light on the fingers when it comes to delicate details like this. I thought it best to either pipe the vines on with buttercream, but didn't want big chunky vines, and I really wasn't sure what tip would be best....maybe the leaf tip? The bride also wanted to incorporate some wine colors in there so I wasn't sure how I would have added those accents in buttercream piping either. I thought it best to get out the ol' airbrush machine and go to town...but talk about nerve-racking last night! I was so afraid of over-spraying and really wasn't as happy with the scrolls as I would have liked to have been, but once I added all the other elements to the cake, and got it at the venue, it turned out better than I initially gave myself credit for, and I walked away with it being one of my favorite cakes I've ever made.
One other VERY strange incidental: I worked on the airbrushing for over an hour, and iced this cake hours earlier (and filled it the night before, so it had no condensation at all on it the next morning when I iced it). After airbrushing, I added the bead border which took some time, and I put the cake on my kitchen table out of the way so I could proceed to clean my extremely trashed kitchen (this was at midnight mind you).
After the kitchen was tidied, I went to place the cake in my Cake Safe, and low and behold, the top tier, right in the front, had a blow out! The buttercream had a little crack in it and was bulging out...couldn't believe my eyes since I had my eyes on this entire cake for the past 4 hours prior, so why it decided to blow then was beyond me. Thank God it wasn't on the airbrushing details, and all I really had to do was push it back against the cake, and you couldn't even tell at all that this happened, and thank goodness it didn't blow again. Weird, huh?
Okay, so another caking adventure has past!
I had the same thing happen, crack and bulge (size of nickel, maybe quarter). Of course in the front of my very 1st (poss only) wedding cake ever!
It was like an air pocket, I have no idea why this happened? I can only think that because I back off the bc filling in between the layers of the tier to prevent bulging that there was a pocket of air created between the filling and the outer layer of bc? Then the weight of the top layer pushed it out? But I also left each indivual tier crumbcoated with some weight on top of it, again to avoid the dreaded bulg! Thankfully it wasn't a completely smooth bc look it had some texture or I would likley have just fainted!
How did you remedy this? I just stabbed it (literally I was freaking out!) let the air out and pushed it back in with a viva papertowel and fondant smoother. But if it had to have been a smooth bc finish? It had already been smoothed and crusted. I can only thing a hot spatula, then it would have crusted again???
Seriously weddings are so stressful to me, we eloped to justice of the peace without evening telling our witnesses until we pulled in the parking lot! We haven't even had a wedding celebration (5 yrs now), because, yup you guessed it, stressful! I...just.....can't....do....it! Phew, stepping back from the ledge now!
Very interested in how you solved the problem.
I was prepared to just cut out the affected area and fill it in with more buttercream and re-finish that area with Viva, etc, but I didn't have to at all. All I did was just push it up against the cake again with Viva and it looked perfect, you couldn't even tell there was an issue there. I've also read where people have had success inserting a small straw, and sucking out the air pocket, but mine actually had a small little fissure crack, and I was successful just pushing the air pocket back down onto the cake.
Thank you all for your kind words!
Your cake is lovely!
Get Inspiration and Great Deals
Yes, I want to receive new decorating ideas and exclusive offers from Wilton. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Learn more