skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Sunflower Vineyard Wedding Cake Sugarpaste Sunflowers Sugared frosted grapes
Created On Sunday September 23, 2012 12:26 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

susychpstk
Posted: Sunday September 23, 2012 12:26 AM
View users profile

Hello Caking Friends!

What a busy weekend it was! 3 weddings; 2 small cupcake weddings and this sunflower wedding cake...I've earned my keep

Sunflower Wedding Cake:

Three tiered ivory buttercream iced cake with airbrushed scrolls in chocolate and wine colors, hand-formed sugar sunflowers, real frosted grapes accented with hand-formed and dusted sugarpaste grape leaves and vines!

The bride presented me with an inspiration photo of a fondant iced version of this cake, with hand-painted scrolls, but didn't want to spend the cost for fondant. I was afraid to paint on buttercream, although I know it can be done...when I've tried before, despite chilling the cake, it still ate through my buttercream. I guess I have a hard touch and I'm not very light on the fingers when it comes to delicate details like this. I thought it best to either pipe the vines on with buttercream, but didn't want big chunky vines, and I really wasn't sure what tip would be best....maybe the leaf tip? The bride also wanted to incorporate some wine colors in there so I wasn't sure how I would have added those accents in buttercream piping either. I thought it best to get out the ol' airbrush machine and go to town...but talk about nerve-racking last night! I was so afraid of over-spraying and really wasn't as happy with the scrolls as I would have liked to have been, but once I added all the other elements to the cake, and got it at the venue, it turned out better than I initially gave myself credit for, and I walked away with it being one of my favorite cakes I've ever made.

One other VERY strange incidental: I worked on the airbrushing for over an hour, and iced this cake hours earlier (and filled it the night before, so it had no condensation at all on it the next morning when I iced it). After airbrushing, I added the bead border which took some time, and I put the cake on my kitchen table out of the way so I could proceed to clean my extremely trashed kitchen (this was at midnight mind you).

After the kitchen was tidied, I went to place the cake in my Cake Safe, and low and behold, the top tier, right in the front, had a blow out! The buttercream had a little crack in it and was bulging out...couldn't believe my eyes since I had my eyes on this entire cake for the past 4 hours prior, so why it decided to blow then was beyond me. Thank God it wasn't on the airbrushing details, and all I really had to do was push it back against the cake, and you couldn't even tell at all that this happened, and thank goodness it didn't blow again. Weird, huh?

Okay, so another caking adventure has past!

Sunflower Vineyard Wedding Cake Sept 2012 close up frosted grapes.jpg Sunflower Vineyard Wedding Cake Sept 2012 close up frosted grapes.jpg  (99 KB)
Sunflower Vineyard Wedding Cake Sept 2012 closeup frosted grapes 2.jpg Sunflower Vineyard Wedding Cake Sept 2012 closeup frosted grapes 2.jpg  (88 KB)
Sunflower Vineyard Wedding Cake Sept 2012.jpg Sunflower Vineyard Wedding Cake Sept 2012.jpg  (46 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

gmoakes01
Posted: Sunday September 23, 2012 5:37 AM
View users profile

That is really gorgeous! Never tried doing fine details with an airbrush.

Report Violation

Bottom

CollectorEJ
Posted: Sunday September 23, 2012 7:06 AM
View users profile

The sunflowers are great -- you did a great job on the cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Sunday September 23, 2012 7:06 AM
View users profile

Magnificent cake. What size tiers did you use, how many servings, and most important..what butter cream recipe did you use..if you don't mind my being nosy..
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

scubabaker
Posted: Sunday September 23, 2012 8:42 AM
View users profile

I'd say you earned your keep and then some! I've had a similar blowout or two that seemed to defy any explanation. I'm happy yours was an easy fix and didn't detract from your beautiful cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Sunday September 23, 2012 10:12 AM
View users profile

Really a beautiful cake, Susan. I love sunflowers. That's the theme in my kitchen.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Sunday September 23, 2012 10:26 AM
View users profile

I think it's fabulous!

Report Violation

Bottom

lmeade84
Posted: Sunday September 23, 2012 10:51 AM

You did a great job

Report Violation

Bottom

cycakes
Posted: Sunday September 23, 2012 11:54 AM

I love this cake! I so enjoy the fall and all the colors! I love the airbrush detail and how it creates a dimensional effect with the sunflowers.

I had the same thing happen, crack and bulge (size of nickel, maybe quarter). Of course in the front of my very 1st (poss only) wedding cake ever!

It was like an air pocket, I have no idea why this happened? I can only think that because I back off the bc filling in between the layers of the tier to prevent bulging that there was a pocket of air created between the filling and the outer layer of bc? Then the weight of the top layer pushed it out? But I also left each indivual tier crumbcoated with some weight on top of it, again to avoid the dreaded bulg! Thankfully it wasn't a completely smooth bc look it had some texture or I would likley have just fainted!

How did you remedy this? I just stabbed it (literally I was freaking out!) let the air out and pushed it back in with a viva papertowel and fondant smoother. But if it had to have been a smooth bc finish? It had already been smoothed and crusted. I can only thing a hot spatula, then it would have crusted again???

Seriously weddings are so stressful to me, we eloped to justice of the peace without evening telling our witnesses until we pulled in the parking lot! We haven't even had a wedding celebration (5 yrs now), because, yup you guessed it, stressful! I...just.....can't....do....it! Phew, stepping back from the ledge now!

Very interested in how you solved the problem.

Report Violation

Bottom

kmtmagoo
Posted: Sunday September 23, 2012 6:00 PM

Such a beautiful cake! You did an awesome job!

Report Violation

Bottom

Konfections
Posted: Sunday September 23, 2012 8:08 PM

This cake is very pretty, and wow, 3 weddings...I stress over 1, lol!

Report Violation

Bottom

MomToManyBlessings
Posted: Sunday September 23, 2012 8:17 PM

Very different, and very pretty! It's fun to see what all of you create!

Report Violation

Bottom

lexysexy
Posted: Sunday September 23, 2012 8:48 PM

Beautiful job, love the cake design

Report Violation

Bottom

susychpstk
Posted: Sunday September 23, 2012 9:38 PM
View users profile

cycakes....so strange that I got the dreaded bulge because I did everything I normally do to prevent it! Stiff buttercream dam, filled in with more stiff buttercream, squished it down to induce settling, and waiting til the next day to ice with my final coat, so I'm really at a loss to what happened.

I was prepared to just cut out the affected area and fill it in with more buttercream and re-finish that area with Viva, etc, but I didn't have to at all. All I did was just push it up against the cake again with Viva and it looked perfect, you couldn't even tell there was an issue there. I've also read where people have had success inserting a small straw, and sucking out the air pocket, but mine actually had a small little fissure crack, and I was successful just pushing the air pocket back down onto the cake.

Thank you all for your kind words!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Monday September 24, 2012 6:17 AM

I may be doing a wedding cake from the same inspiration. My bride brought me a picture of a cake that sounds like yours except it has different flowers...and it has the same painted stems and also some painted flowers. I was thinking of using a stencil instead of painting....

Your cake is lovely!

Report Violation

Bottom

susychpstk
Posted: Monday September 24, 2012 6:57 AM
View users profile

Thanks SGM! Stencil would have been a great idea too! I haven't tried making my own stencil, but that would be a great option if you can't find a good match. Can't wait to see pics of your cake- it sounds beautiful!

Report Violation

Bottom

mjsoldano
Posted: Monday September 24, 2012 7:06 AM

i love this cake! your buttercream is so smooth and the edges are nice and crisp. i've had bubbles appear on cakes, too, especially when i do the diamond impression. i take a toothpick, poke a little hole, and press the BC back against the cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

susychpstk
Posted: Monday September 24, 2012 7:13 AM
View users profile

Mj- that's always my first tactic. This one had a little fissure so I just patted it down and it was perfect. Thank you for the sweet comments!

Report Violation

Bottom

tortnaya
Posted: Monday September 24, 2012 8:17 PM

What a sweet cake! Your flowers are just darling. And you are so good with air-brush!! Fantastic job! My air-brush always goes everywhere... ;-( so I dodn't like it very much. But I LOVE your cake! I can see how it could be your favorite Perfect darling cake!

Report Violation

Bottom

susychpstk
Posted: Monday September 24, 2012 8:21 PM
View users profile

Aw, thank you so much Torti! I was a complete wreck taking the airbrush to my cake...ughh! Stress!!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: