skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Cake Flour Conundrum... Can you substitute AP flour for Cake Flour?
Created On Saturday September 08, 2012 9:48 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

CakesbySarahLakeWorthFlorida
Posted: Saturday September 08, 2012 9:48 AM
View users profile

Hey cakers! I have been pulling away from the modified cake mixes and focusing more on "from-scratch" cakes for my budding At-Home cake business as I embark on transitioning to a food truck to sell my cakes and baked goods. i have also started to sell more wedding cakes and the Brides want multi tiers, each a different cake and flavor combo.

My question is: cake flour is hard to find and expensive. I have heard you can substitute AP flour with cornstarch added. What I want to know, before I waste time and money experimenting, has anyone used this concoction in lieu of cake flour and do you find the cake comes out with the same texture and rise? OR do you have any suggestion for a different sub? Scratch cakes are already finicky, so I am hesitant to buy into the sub quickly.

Thank you! I appreciate all thoughts and comments on the subject!
www.facebook.com/cakesbysarahlakeworth

spaceboycake.jpg spaceboycake.jpg  (103 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Saturday September 08, 2012 11:12 AM
View users profile

Your cake is adorable. Had to tell you that. I've not tried the cornstarch/ap flour combination but have always used cake mixes so I can't comment on that.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Saturday September 08, 2012 11:21 AM
View users profile

Very cute cake.

I find cake flour in the baking aisle at the grocery store. King Arthur Flour also sells a terrific cake flour. On occasion they offer free shipping if you spend xxx dollars. I try to stock up on flour then, when I don't have to pay to ship it. All those heavy bags of flour add up to expensive shipping. You're right, cake flour is expensive, but it is worth it.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Saturday September 08, 2012 11:46 AM
View users profile

From the Joyofcooking.com:

Cake flour has a 6-8% protein content and is made from soft wheat flour. It is chlorinated to further break down the strength of the gluten and is smooth and velvety in texture. Good for making cakes (especially white cakes and biscuits) and cookies where a tender and delicate texture is desired. To substitute cake flour for all-purpose flour use 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour for every cup of all-purpose flour. Make your own - one cup sifted cake flour can be substituted with 3/4 cup (84 grams) sifted bleached all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons (15 grams) cornstarch.

Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com/flour.html#ixzz25ti5FPPX

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Saturday September 08, 2012 5:23 PM
View users profile

Sarah, checked out for site and that space cake is cool. I too am in Florida, Palm Beach Gardens, we are almost neighbors...it is not easy dealing with all this humidity and rain..
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Sunday September 09, 2012 10:40 AM
View users profile

I can usually find Softasilk cake flour at WalMart for less than $4 for 32 oz.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Sunday September 09, 2012 10:42 AM
View users profile

I recently made a white cake that called for cake flour, it is a very similar recipe to the WASC. That cake was so light and fluffy and tasty, it really was a LOT better than a traditional WASC. WASC has its usefulness, no doubt, but taste-wise, the white velvet wedding cake beat it hands down.

Report Violation

Bottom

tmana
Posted: Sunday September 09, 2012 11:12 PM

If you can find white wheat flour, that is what is used for cake and pastry flour. Red wheat flour is used for bread flour. I'm a scratch cook who tries to avoid any sort of refined flour. When I can get Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, I'll use it. Otherwise I'll just use whatever brand of Whole White Wheat flour I can find. That said, there are definite differences in taste and texture from refined flour to whole-grain flour.

Report Violation

Bottom

emmer_d
Posted: Monday September 10, 2012 9:01 AM
View users profile

I did a search for this answer a few weeks ago when Spooky posted the white velvet wedding cake recipe because I was dying to try it. But I just decided to wait until I was able to pick up some actual cake flour. I, too, can find it at my WM for less than $3.50 I believe.

I'd probably make a batch of homemade cake flour and use it in a recipe and then make the same recipe with actual cake flour and compare the two. I guess you won't know until you try it.

Please report back to us the results if you do make your own CF.

Emily

Report Violation

Bottom

CakesbySarahLakeWorthFlorida
Posted: Friday September 14, 2012 6:58 AM
View users profile

I'll be baking this Sunday, so we will see I have a bday cake and starting to bake off the tiers for my October wedding cake, so I will try the two and see what happens. I have tweaked the WASC recipe so that I am very happy with it, but it only covers a limited taste profile. This is what I use:

All in one mixing bowl: I use professional 6 mixer with 6qt bowl.

2 cake mixes
1 pound cake mix
1 packet of dream whip

1.) make 1 cake mix as package directs.

2.) make 2nd cake mix the dream whip way: 1c water, 4 eggs

3.) make pound cake mix as package directs.

(It usually comes to 9eggs, 2 1/3 to 2 2/3c water, and 1/3c oil, and 1/2 stick butter - but varies depending on your cake mix).

mix at high for 4 min.

bake at 350 till done.

This makes a sturdy cake with a great flavor and crumb. I get raves from my clients.

Thank you all for your help!

www.facebook.com/cakesbysarahlakeworth

Report Violation

Bottom

ZenCity
Posted: Saturday September 15, 2012 3:48 PM

I modify my unbleached flour for cake flour and it seems to work just fine. Just remember to SIFT the flour and cornstarch together before adding it to the cake batter. I remove 2T of flour from each cup and replace it with 2T of cornstarch. Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

Miss LJH
Posted: Sunday September 16, 2012 2:47 PM

CakesbySarah, could you clarify the "dream whip way?" The recipe sounds good, so do I just add dream whip 1 cup water and 4 eggs to the box mix, or anything else from the box directions? Thanks much.

Lou

Report Violation

Bottom

treeves
Posted: Monday September 17, 2012 8:45 AM

What a fun cake!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: