skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Assembling a wedding cake
Created On Sunday August 26, 2012 12:37 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

KristinJeanne
Posted: Sunday August 26, 2012 12:37 PM

Iam making my first wedding cake and need some advise. The cake will be 3 tiers stacked and covered with fondant. My problem is the bottom 2 tiers. I baked a practice tier ( the bottom, the biggest tier) froze the cake, thawed the cake to crumb coat. when I went to assemble the 2 layers the top layer cracked when moving onto the bottom layer. Should I not have thawed the cakes overnight? I would appreciate any advise anyone can give me. Thanks Kristin

Report Violation

Bottom

sweeter things...
Posted: Sunday August 26, 2012 1:59 PM
View users profile

I normally take my layers out and let them thaw just a bit before I start to crumb coat. They are still kind of frozen as I am crumb coating. It makes it easier and you have no crumbs to deal with! I don't know why your layer split unless was because you thawed overnight. I am sorry that happened. Maybe you can try again and this time don't remove your layers until right before you want to begin crumb coating....say 1/2 to 1 hour before.

Report Violation

Bottom

KristinJeanne
Posted: Sunday August 26, 2012 2:41 PM

Thank you for the information. I will try that.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Sunday August 26, 2012 3:16 PM
View users profile

I don't know what you used as a board under your cake that cracked, but I always use 1/2 foam core boards that I cut to size. Then I know it is a good stable base for the cake and prevents any cracks.
Also I do use a cookie sheet with not lip to move one layer on top of the other for the same reason, keeping the layer level and flat.
Also, I will sometimes fill and crumbcoat my tiers before I freeze them just to avoid such a situation.
Just a few suggestions
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Sunday August 26, 2012 4:13 PM
View users profile

I always crumbcoat my cakes while they're still frozen. It makes it much easier to handle those large layers. After they're crumbcoated, if you can, keep them in the frig loosely covered with plastic wrap and let them continue thawing several hours or overnite.

Report Violation

Bottom

Baker_Rose
Posted: Monday August 27, 2012 12:39 PM

When working with large layers, frozen makes assembling so much easier. When I have done this in the past I take the bottom layer out of the freezer and position it on the board (final resting place) Then let it sit while I do something else, like making buttercream etc.

Then, fill the cake with the buttercream or filling after it starts to loosen in the center. THEN take the second layer out of the freezer and position it on the first layer. This way the cake is still cold when you are picking it up and moving it around. Then I like to run a thick bead of buttercream in between the layers and smooth with a spatula. Then.......let the top layer thaw while you start working on the next tier in the same way you did the first.

When the assembled tier starts to loosen and is thawed in the center crumb coat and set aside, continue working in a round with each successive tier/layer. Usually once I have the third tier layerd with filling I am ready for the final buttercream coat on the bottom tier. After all the tiers are finished with buttercream (or fondant if that is what you are doing) then I go back and start to dowel, then assemble and touch up and then decorate.

I have had bad things happen when I tried to rush and do the final buttercream on a frozen cake, so I like to layer them, just not ice until they are thawed. But WOW, do those big ones go together better when they are rock cold.

Just be sure you have a good strong base. If you don't, have an extra wooden board under your base while you are picking it up and moving it around for extra security.

Report Violation

Bottom

KristinJeanne
Posted: Monday August 27, 2012 1:39 PM

Thak you very much that sounds like a great plan. I will give it a try.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: