skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Stenciling Technique....particularly buttercream-on-buttercream
Konfections 07/23/2012 11:14 PM
You rock, "Youtube" tourtials please, lol!!
CollectorEJ 07/24/2012 7:09 AM
Thank you for the tutorial that you did. You're great.
MomToManyBlessings 07/24/2012 7:53 AM
Thank you for taking the time to photograph the process! After seeing your photos, I definitely think I will try it sometime. Before that, there was no way I was going to attempt it!
tortnaya 07/24/2012 10:30 AM
What an awesome thread! You are awesome, Cammie ;-) Thank you!!!
susychpstk 07/27/2012 10:42 PM
Perfect timing Cammie! Just did my first stenciling, but on fondant so it must be easier than on buttercream. I see some areas that seeped through a tad, but you wouldn't notice unless you had the stencil in front of you. I was stressed beyond belief trying to hold it onto a round cake...not an easy task, but I got through it.

Thank you for posting such a wonderful tutorial Cammie

Susan
cami5271 07/28/2012 8:29 AM
Susan...can't wait to see pictures! Now you know what I mean about some areas that sneak behind the stencil, but you would never notice it if you weren't a cake decorator! Everyone's eye will go to the overall design! I notice that when I'm stenciling and getting a little tired, I will brave a little more buttercream than I should and start noticing more errors :(
Scjess 08/16/2012 1:31 PM
Cami! I need your help. What type of buttercream do you use?? And what do you use to color it?? Would Wilton gel colors work? Also the buttercream frosting recipe that you posted worked amazingly!! Everyone liked the taste of it and it help all of my fondant pieces on it : ) Would I use that to stencil with? How long should I wait for my frostings to chill before attempting the stencil?? Sorry so many questions.
cami5271 08/16/2012 3:00 PM
Scjess...my HOUSE BUTTERCREAM recipe is the one I use exclusively to decorate and stencil with. I don't thin it either as I find it makes it more prone to slip behind the stencil and muck it up. If I have a stencil design to do I will ice my cake as early as possible on Friday and stencil on top of it that evening. Sometimes I chill, sometimes I don't...it's not necessary, unless you have fillings that require it! Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!
lexysexy 08/25/2012 10:13 AM
Hi Cami, I just finished making a 50th Birthday cake and posted it on the celebrations Forum. I used your stenciling technique. I did it on Italian Buttercream because that's all I use. Thanks for all your tips.
chinasam 08/25/2012 4:14 PM
Thank you, Cami. I must try this on a dummy first! You are always so helpful!
jabrotz 08/28/2012 2:34 PM
Hi Cammie. I just noticed on your website that you did a black and white damask stenciled cake also...with round layers. It is the one pictured with a large pink floral topper. I am just in awe and would love to 'sit at your elbow' and watch you do this! I have tried and tried on practice layers since my 'epic fail' for the wedding I did in July which was supposed to be using this damask stencil. Is there any other helpful advice that you can offer as I practice this on buttercream? I really can't seem to get it to not smear through (and move!) as I go and I end up ruining the underneath. Also...how in the world do you keep the stencil in place on a round cake? I am indebted for any advice/training you can offer. If you ever agree to do training...I would be THE FIRST to sign up !! Thanks so much again.
dead goose 08/29/2012 5:11 PM
Cami I'am trying this in the next two weeks along with your buttercream both of wich Itried once before,my question how do you get youe BC so jet black'How far inadvance should I color it?
cami5271 08/29/2012 5:31 PM
Jabrotz...it takes a lot of practice to get the hang of it! I can tell you that I stencil the layers before I stack them, so the stencil is sitting on the countertop/turntable to help keep it in place. I have to use a very light touch to keep the stencil from moving for the first few applications of the black buttercream; but after a short while, there's enough on it to keep it adhered...and you're using a VERY light touch to "place" the buttercream over the stencil. If you rub it too much or too hard it will seep through...but if you use a short stroke / dabbing motion, it works great!

You know, I may just have to do a video and post it here! I had hoped to offer classes in 2012, but wedding season snuck up on me and I was never able to really find the time to get it together. Where are you located? If you're close (even driving distance) maybe we can meet sometime and have some cake fun!

dead goose...I use Americolor gels to dye my buttercream, and if I'm using black I usually dye it the night before so it's nice and dark by the next morning! You can dye it ahead of time with no trouble...I've dyed as early as a week prior!
jabrotz 08/29/2012 7:53 PM
Cammie: Thank you so much for your generous offer! I am in Churchville, NY...in between Rochester - Buffalo. If you ever offer classes, I'd love to hear about them. Thanks so much for your help...I will keep practicing. My email is jabrotz@yahoo.com if you end up having time to do video. Would love to meet you! Thanks again! Jackie
cami5271 08/30/2012 12:12 PM
JACKIE!!! I was just in Buffalo 2 weeks ago! Our daughter started grad school at UB (North Campus) this week! I will definitely let you know the next time I'm up that way! How fun would that be!!!
jabrotz 08/31/2012 6:19 AM
Oh my GOODNESS!!! That is sooo cool!!! You must be so proud of her....and yes..definitely!! If you are coming this way - would love to meet you have cake time! Thank you sooo much! What a small (cake) world!! Hope you have a great Labor Day Weekend! Thank you for sharing of yourself and talents, Cammie.
NanaC 08/31/2012 1:18 PM
Hey Cami,
I have a wedding cake next week, with initials on the middle layer.
I had a friend make me a stencil and had plannd to cut it out of the sugar
sheets. The bride has now informed me she wants them a coral color and of course the sugar sheets do not come in coral. Help!!!! And would I use the same technique you described in your July 23 post or do you have another suggestion. Not even sure what colors to mix to get coral.
cami5271 08/31/2012 8:01 PM
NanaC....which "technique/post" are you referring to on July 23rd? A post in this thread, or another? Is it just one monogram set and/or individual letter (like last initial) that the bride wants on that one tier? If that's the case, I woud probably use the Pin Prick Method to transfer the letters to the cake, then pipe them on with a #2 tip. Clarify exactly what they want and I will help as much as I can!

Oh...I would use pink with a touch or orange to get a nice coral color! Of course, you will need to play with the colors to get the right color, but a combination of those two is where I would start!
Scjess 09/01/2012 2:45 PM
Cami!!! I have a few questions. I think I may have a bride that would like the stenciling on the cake. It is going to be a very large cake. it would be a 16'',14'',12',8'' and 6'' inch cake,yes very large I know she will have more than enough for the 200 people attending. anyways, here are my questions, I found the stencil i will be using, I will be stenciling on every other tear and on the base of each cake there will be ribbon. My questions are:

How long should I let the cake chill before stenciling?
Do i stack my cake then stencil?? or should i stencil each tear first?? ahhhh!
When delivering should I already have the cake stacked??
the ribbon? someone suggested to line it wish scotch tape so that the grease doesn't seep do you know if that works?

I just had the tasting she loved the cakes and i used you buttercream!! I love Italian meringue but its so time consuming and I cant stencil with that anyways so I am so happy the liked your buttercream.

thank you for all your posts and help!!
cami5271 09/02/2012 7:43 AM
Scjess, I'll try to answer your questions the best I can!
1) You don't have to chill the cake, I don't always (depends on fillings), but if you do, I would say about 20-30 minutes (or overnight works too)
2) I always stencil each tier seperately, then stack. You'll decrease your chances of bumping or messing up other tiers this way.
3) Delivering stacked vs. unstacked is entirely your choice. I always deliver assembled, but if you have a good method of stacking on-site, then go for it!
4) I've used EVERY method out there for lining my ribbon, and have found that the only one that works for me is placing strips of wax paper on the cake first (cut slight wider than the ribbon), then place a few pieces of double-sided tape on the paper before applying the ribbon on top. The wax paper is nearly transparent against the buttercream!

It IS possible to stencil onto IMBC...someone just did it and posted pics...you just have to chill it between applications (like do one side, then put it back in the fridge/freezer...then do the next section, etc).

Good luck to you!