skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Fondant Butterflies
MizzKat 02/23/2012 11:59 PM
Hi all. Have a quick question about making fondant butterflies.

I purchased a plunger-type cutter for the butterflies. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion for how I can color the butterfly's body black. Should I just take some black gel coloring and thin it out with something and paint it?

Thanks for reading
BlackWidowNor 02/24/2012 7:05 AM
You can use the gel food color, and thin it with a clear alcohol like everclear, vodka or even a clear extract like lemon (make sure the extract is alcohol based though, the alcohol evaporates a lot quicker than water and won't compromise the fondant that way)
MizzKat 02/24/2012 1:58 PM

Someone suggested I use luster dust on them as well-would that be applied in the same manner?

Thank you so much for your help!
krzykakes 02/24/2012 2:13 PM
Luster dust will enhance the look and make them look really pretty....I wanna see pics when you done...Im doing my butterflies this weekend as well so good luck
MizzKat 02/24/2012 3:48 PM
I'm worried about sticking the butterflies and roses to the sides of the cake!

Cake is going to be iced in BC and I feel like the fondant decorations will be too heavy for the side of the cake.
BlackWidowNor 02/24/2012 7:08 PM
MizzKat, Don't worry. Just mount them on toothpicks or wire, you can stick them in the cake (might want to dip the wire in chocolate/white chocolate first - that's to insure they're food safe.
MizzKat 02/24/2012 7:17 PM
Just ONE more question I promise-as far as the painting the body black AND/OR the luster dust, do I need to do that when the butterfly is still soft, or after it has dried for a day or two?

Thanks, I really do appreciate your input and help.
BlackWidowNor 02/24/2012 9:22 PM
If you're using a fondant/gumpaste mix (usually 50/50) it will get very hard. Do the painting when the butterfly is hard. Don't soak the pieces. You might find that several thin layers of black gel thinned with alcohol will work better than one heavy layer.