skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Fondant or Royal Icing
Created On Sunday July 24, 2011 7:26 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

baking helen
Posted: Sunday July 24, 2011 7:26 AM

I want to keep the top tier of the wedding cake I'm making - should it be iced with fondant icing or royal icing

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Sunday July 24, 2011 9:21 AM
View users profile

Are you keeping it for display, or will it be frozen for a first anniversary?

Display- Royal Icing or fondant. You're using a dummy for this, I hope. Wrap the dummy well in plastic wrap before decorating so you will be able to reuse the dummy.

Frozen to be eaten later - buttercream or fondant

Report Violation

Bottom

baking helen
Posted: Sunday July 24, 2011 11:54 AM

It is going to be kept for the first anniversary or christening. However it's a rich fruit cake so I thought it would be kept in an airtight container rather than frozen.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Sunday July 24, 2011 3:12 PM
View users profile

Oh, I don't know a single thing about saving a fruit cake...I'll leave that to one of our forum members who does!

Report Violation

Bottom

pizzadog
Posted: Sunday July 24, 2011 3:22 PM
View users profile

I'm pretty sure an airtight container is fine for fruit cake - I know I keep my Christmas cakes for months that way. If I remember correctly most fruit cakes that are held over like this are done with Royal icing - is there almond paste under it?

Report Violation

Bottom

jkate
Posted: Sunday July 24, 2011 5:24 PM

No, it needs to be frozen. I do it all the time, ok get the cake (fondant works btw) and wrap in about 6 layers of foil paper, then plastic wrap. Look a rich fruit cake would survive a year in an airtight container, but it would be dry. Take off all decs before you freeze, it will take abut 24 hours from frozen to table but will be better than fresh. It works, I make lots of rich fruit cakes and often freeze up to 5 at a time!

Report Violation

Bottom

baking helen
Posted: Monday July 25, 2011 4:09 AM

Ah thanks for that - as it is a stacked 3 tier cake its on a normal thin silver board do you leave that on as a base or would it be better to take that off as well as the decorations (which are sugarpaste flowers so I'll keep those separate).
Everybody is so helpful

Report Violation

Bottom

jkate
Posted: Monday July 25, 2011 3:52 PM

No just leave it as is as long as board is covered with foil and not too much bigger than cake (room it would take up) As to the sugarpaste flowers they will keep anyway in an air tight container so don't freeze those. You will find any royal icing piping will be fine but not yet covered a whole cake in it so cant advise how it freezes. My guess is that it would freeze well, our grandmothers froze it and it makes such an airtight covering. Where do you live Helen, not many on this forum bake rich fruit cakes, for me most cakes I do are fruit cakes, anything else has a very short life in the heat of the subtopics in Australia.

Report Violation

Bottom

baking helen
Posted: Monday July 25, 2011 4:49 PM

many thanks for your help, I'm in the UK and its traditional to have a rich fruit cake for weddings although sponge is becoming more popular. This cake is for my son's wedding at the begining of September and although I have made and iced many cakes I have not kept one before (there's not usually enough left for that).

Report Violation

Bottom

pizzadog
Posted: Monday July 25, 2011 5:15 PM
View users profile

Baking Helen, there is a whole section of information on this board about fruitcake under "general information "fruitcake and royal icing". Lot's of folk from outside the U.S. and Canada don't freeze fruitcake. I always wrap mine in rum soaked cheesecake, then several layers of foil and store in a dark cool place. Of course, that's if it isn't decorated. Traditionally, fruitcakes are made about three months before they are needed so they have time to age and the flavours can blend. You can keep them for a very long time if you unwrap them and resoak your cheesecloth, rewrap in foil and store away again. Fruitcake is one of those things you either love or hate - my family is of British heritage and Christmas isn't Christmas unless there is fruitcake. That's why I suggested you can keep a decorated fruitcake in an airtight container - the marzipan and icing will hold the moisture in.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: