skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Freeze first, torte later?
Created On Thursday June 30, 2011 12:03 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

redrocks
Posted: Thursday June 30, 2011 12:03 PM

I am making my first wedding cake (my daughter's wedding). My question is one of clarification after reading a lot on this great forum. I am making a 3 inch, 14,10,6 tier WASC wedding cake torted with sleeve raspberry filling covered in MMF. My question is can I cool the cake and then crumbcoat, torte, fill and then cover in plastic and freeze, or...do you bake, torte, cover in plastic and freeze; then crumbcoat and fill afterwards while still frozen?

I hope this makes sense, I have not had good luck trying to torte a frozen cake. Do I just torte and freeze the unfilled layers individually, then crumbcoat and fill with raspberry filling later?

TIA,

redrocks

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Thursday June 30, 2011 12:39 PM
View users profile

Welcome to the forum!

When is the Wedding! Congrats to your happy occasion.

Will you be using a non-perishable filling or real fruit filling (homemade)?

If I were using a perishable filling (real) which I would be using...I would not torte or fill until ready to ready to decorate. One thing for me is I do not freeze any of my cakes, at least not yet. I have always timed my baking and delivery or set-up within 24 hours of baking the cake.

Meaning if my cake is due on Saturday, I start my baking process early like 12 am before the sun comes up Friday. Then I let cool, torte, fill and crumbcoat. I like to frost cold cakes. So after I crumb coat I immediately put mine in the fridge, for me it helps to set the frosting and the filling.

A lot of people freeze, filled and torted cakes crumbcoated. You can if you choose, it's a preference per baker. I think I am one of the few people that don't freeze their cakes, but honestly you should be able to freeze if you choose to with or without it being perishable.

But if you want to torte it go ahead and just put a cake board in between the layers that are torted for easy removal. then you can add your filling once you take it out the freezer.

Hope this helps you.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Thursday June 30, 2011 12:42 PM
View users profile

Now I did forget to say that I make all my Buttercream Forsting ahead of time at least 1 week before the cake is baked. Never a problem.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Thursday June 30, 2011 7:34 PM
View users profile

I would bake the cakes, torte (wax paper between layers) and freeze. Then a couple of days before the wedding, take them out, fill and crumbcoat. Keep in the frig to thaw gradually (loosely wrapped in plastic wrap) Then, day before the wedding, put your final coat of frosting on and decorate. Your raspberry filling is non-perishable, so you can leave the finished cakes out but it's better if you can keep them in the frig to keep cold until delivery. I strongly recommend that you take the cakes separately to the venue and then stack them there (if they're to be stacked)

Report Violation

Bottom

redrocks
Posted: Thursday June 30, 2011 11:45 PM

Thank you ladycatisadiva and cakes06 for your quick replies. The reception is a garden reception at our home, so I won't have to worry about transporting the cake, thankfully. As per your advise, I think I will make the cakes and place wax paper between the layers and freeze. I forgot to mention that I am also making 100 cupcakes as well. I have already made all the royal icing flowers for those, so that should go pretty smoothly. I am hoping to make the cupcakes the day before the wedding. Your replies are greatly appreciated!! Thanks again

Report Violation

Bottom

redrocks
Posted: Tuesday July 05, 2011 1:04 PM

One more question, ladies. Because the reception is in our backyard and I am going to be incredibly busy with last minute preparations in the yard, making 100+ cupcakes, visiting family, etc., what is the absolute earliest I could finish the cake before the friday night reception? I know you probably think I'm crazy for trying to do all of this myself, but she is my only daughter and I just want to do it all for her, and I really have enjoyed it all. The wedding is in 3 weeks. Can you give me a timetable with the info in my original post?

TIA! You ladies are wonderful and I really appreciate the help and advise

redrocks

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Tuesday July 05, 2011 1:53 PM
View users profile

I recently had a client who ordered a cake for a Thursday pick-up..chocolate cake with fondant covering, which was completed by wednesday evening.
Well, he picked the cake up on time, and then told me the plans had changed and the party was put off until sunday. Needless to say I was not a happy camper as I worryed about the cake. Told him to leave it in the box in a cool spot an I hoped for the best.
Well, he called after the party and said I was now their famiys offical baker and the cake was perfect, moist and tasted fantastic.
So, I guess Wednesday would be a good day to shoot for. Also, I have done my cupcakes a week in advance,froze them in tupperware and they have come out great and tasted like they were baked in the morning.
Just a suggestion to easy the stress of a lovely day.
ginnyl~~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Tuesday July 05, 2011 2:43 PM
View users profile

I would still stick to my other post....bake and freeze ahead excect mayibe pump it up a day.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: