skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: really need help with using crystal sugar on buttercream wedding cake!
bethybones 02/23/2011 3:23 PM
Has anyone successfully used the crystal sugar on a buttercream wedding cake and lived to tell about it?!
I am making a four tier stacked, and have not used the product before....will the sugar eventually just melt into the cake? It's not the sanding sugar, nor the rock sugar, but the crystal sugar. I would love to hear how some of you have used this! Thanks in advance!
salsaman42 02/23/2011 8:37 PM
first, refrigerate the cake until the bc is very firm. Then brush on piping gel using a clean paint brush. Then apply the sugar. You have to keep putting the cake in the fridge to keep the bc cold. I apply the sugar in sections, not all at once. See picture...
Attachments:
creative_rb 02/26/2011 4:15 PM
Salsaman- how did you keep the sugar from melting in once the cake came up to room temp at the wedding reception? Or was that not a problem?
salsaman42 02/27/2011 3:12 PM
it doesn't melt, it retains a soft crunch. I assume your sugar is "sparlkling" sugar that I use.
bethybones 02/28/2011 2:00 PM

Yes, it is the sparkling! I did a trial run on the cake and icing, because for various reasons I will not be able to refrigerate it....I have to go from cool room to cool room.....so I frosted the cake, sprinkled the sugar and waited to see how long it took to melt into the buttercream. It's been 5 hours or so, and it is still sparkling, so I think that I will frost and sugar the cake the morning of the wedding ( which takes place at 2:00 pm that day) and transport it to the venue, sprinkle more on and call it done ( and hope for the best!) Thanks for your input! This is my first time on the forum.
sweetgrandma 03/01/2011 7:56 PM
Welcome bethybones and good luck on your cake. Be sure to post a pic!
sewsweet2 03/05/2011 10:10 AM
I have put sanding sugar on buttercream. I allow the icing to crust and paint on sections of thinned cornsyrup. Then add sugar. I collected the sugar that didn't adhere and used it again. I did not refrigerate my cake because I didn't want to taket the chance of the icing sweating from the condensation when I bring it out of the fridge.
JanRitt 07/13/2013 12:29 PM
I have a cake for January that the bride wants the sparkling sugar look. Do I look for "Sparkling Sugar" or do I look for "Sanding Sugar", and where can I buy it?
salsaman42 07/13/2013 1:15 PM
You want sparkling sugar, sanding is not much different than granulated. Do a search, all over on line, cake supply stores have it, some wilton areas have it in stores also.
sewsweet2 07/14/2013 5:04 PM
I just bought 8 lbs and it was labeled "white coarse crystal". HTH