skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Sheet cake and layered cake questions!
Created On Sunday January 23, 2011 3:27 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

cakecrazy25
Posted: Sunday January 23, 2011 3:27 PM

Ok, I have quite a few questions,

1. Sheet cakes

A)What do you consider 1/4 sheet, 1/2 sheet and a full sheet?
- I have a 9x13" pan, a 11x15" pan and a 12x18" pan. I was thinking that the 9x13" would be the 1/4, the 11x18" would be the 1/2 and the 12x18" would be the full.

B) Does my size idea sound ok?

C) Do you do 2- layer sheet cakes?
- when I did a 9x13" they wanted a BC filling so I did that, not too bad, I'm just not sure about moving a 11x15" or 12x18" off and then back on again.

D) If you do 2-layer sheet cakes, do you bake one layer and torte it or do you bake 2 cakes and put them on top of each other?
-----------------------------
2. Layer cakes

A) how many layers are your layer cakes?
- I usually do 2 layers with my 3" deep pans, because it is easy to do, but this morning, I tried a 3 layer an it was ok, but there was a lot of thought involved so the layers were somewhat even.

B) how tall are you layer cakes?
- I have heard some people on here have cakes that are like 6" tall!!

Thanks to anyone who can answer!!

cakecrazy25

Report Violation

Bottom

vthorse
Posted: Sunday January 23, 2011 5:00 PM

the only question I can really answer is on moving your sheet cake layers...use a straight cookie sheet that does not have edges all the way around.

Report Violation

Bottom

luvbakin
Posted: Sunday January 23, 2011 6:22 PM
View users profile

Sheetcakes are (I'm pretty sure) classified as a one layer cake.

If I were layering I would just do a 2 layer not three...3 layer would be very heavy to move and not as stable.

My pans are 2" and only do 2 layers, which would equal about 4" tall.

At stores...at least locally around here...consider a half sheet as a 9x13, but whatever works for you...just consider how many servings you need.

Vthorse is right about moving....use a cookie sheet...if yours have sides just flip them over and use the back, that is what I do.

I hope this helps!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday January 23, 2011 7:39 PM

1. Sheet cakes

A)What do you consider 1/4 sheet, 1/2 sheet and a full sheet?
- I have a 9x13" pan, a 11x15" pan and a 12x18" pan. I was thinking that the 9x13" would be the 1/4, the 11x18" would be the 1/2 and the 12x18" would be the full.

You will get allot of conflicting answers to this questions from various decorators. I can tell you what I do, but ultimately YOU will be the one to decide what you are going to offer for each size.
9x13=1/4 sheet
11x15=1/2 sheet
12x18=full sheet

B) Does my size idea sound ok? Sounds ok to me.

C) Do you do 2- layer sheet cakes?
- when I did a 9x13" they wanted a BC filling so I did that, not too bad, I'm just not sure about moving a 11x15" or 12x18" off and then back on again.
Torting and filling a single layered cake is tricky if you have never done it before. I use either a non sided cookie sheet and slide it between the layers. Remove off the top and dam and fill. Make sure you remember EXACTLY how it came apart so that it goes back on the exact same way. Otherwise it won't line up right. Stick a toothpick on the top on the bottom of the cut and then line them back up again when re-stacking them together again.

D) If you do 2-layer sheet cakes, do you bake one layer and torte it or do you bake 2 cakes and put them on top of each other?
I let the customer decide. Two different prices. Two different servings amounts. Either method can be attainable.
-----------------------------
2. Layer cakes

A) how many layers are your layer cakes?
- I usually do 2 layers with my 3" deep pans, because it is easy to do, but this morning, I tried a 3 layer an it was ok, but there was a lot of thought involved so the layers were somewhat even.
2 layers for me in 2" deep pans

B) how tall are you layer cakes?
- I have heard some people on here have cakes that are like 6" tall!!
2" tall per layer giving me 4" of cake. I personally do not like to make 6" tall cakes for normal cakes. The only one I did that was 6" tall was my topsy turvy cake and that has to be 6" because of the angle that was cut away. Those are ok, but I do not like regular cakes that tall. They are hard to serve without the slices falling all apart and making a mess. People get frustrated when serving them.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakecrazy25
Posted: Friday January 28, 2011 6:38 PM

Thanks Everyone!!! I haven;t been on in a while, so i am a little behind on my thank you's!!

Report Violation

Bottom

cardamom_bakery
Posted: Thursday June 28, 2012 3:25 PM

I've been making sugar-free half sheet cakes for a lady. She asked me if I could make regular cakes at Costco prices ($18 for two-layer half sheet with decorations!). I said they (Costco) make thier cakes in bulk and buy ingredients in BULK, while I do not. Should I just say no thanks I'll stick with the sugar-free specialty cakes? (btw, I only charge $35 for the half sheet with simple frosting)

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Thursday June 28, 2012 8:04 PM
View users profile

Welcome to the forum, cardamom_bakery. You are already charging too little. If your customer wants to spend $18 on a two layer half sheet, Costco is the place for her to go. For $18 she'll get a frozen cake of undetermined origin and undetermined age and nothing spectacular icing and decorations. From you she would get a custom made cake with fresh ingredients and a design made for her and executed with care by you. Tell her no, you do not choose to compete with Costco. You cannot compete with their prices and they cannot compete with your quality.

Report Violation

Bottom

cardamom_bakery
Posted: Thursday June 28, 2012 10:58 PM

Hi cakecrazy25, thanks for your reply. I was thinking along those lines but didn't have the words!!! I've just started my home bakery although I've enjoyed baking for over a decade. I will tell my customer that I'm firm on my prices for the two layer cakes and I'm not comparing my work to Costco (or any other grocery chain).

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Friday June 29, 2012 7:46 AM
View users profile

I just finished 2 - 2 layer 13 x 18 cakes. I bake 4 - 9x13's and place them side by side to get this size.
They are filled and decorated - one butter cream covered with modeling chocolate decorations and the other fondant covered, and on a custom designed 1/2" foam core board. They were each charge $250.00 for their cakes..
They knew they could have paid less at Costco but I am able to provide them with a custom creation and a cake that tastes great as well as looking great.
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: