skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Attaching fabric bows and ribbons to buttercream covered wedding cake
Created On Friday December 31, 2010 2:50 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

marylindacakes
Posted: Friday December 31, 2010 2:50 AM

I have a client who wants a 3 inch ribbon and large bow attached to one of the layers of her wedding cake. What is the best way to do this? How do you anchor the bow to make sure it stays attached? Will the buttercream icing seep through the satin ribbon?

Report Violation

Bottom

gwez917
Posted: Friday December 31, 2010 5:58 AM
View users profile

There are alot of ideas on here about how to attach ribbon and Im sure eveyone will chime in soon but I can only tell you about the one time I used ribbon. It was a dark brown on an ivory cake and I did not know all the tricks at the time and applied it directly to the cake the night before. I did see oil spots on my ribbon but not enough to make a difference. Had I known I would have put it on in the morning or I have heard people saying to apply the sticky plastic wrap on the back side of the ribbon. I will do that next time. I used the straight pins with the pearls on the ends to hold mine in place and you could do the same with yours and your ribbon. Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Friday December 31, 2010 7:55 AM
View users profile

Press and Seal wrap does work very well to protect ribbon. Others apply tape to the back of the ribbon. I worry about putting pins in the cake in case they are forgotten or missed, or some child admiring the cake pulls at them. I would use a bit of the buttercream or, even better, a little royal icing to hold the ribbon together at the ends. Leave a big enough overlap so the ribbon can follow the curve of the cake at the ends, but not a huge overlap.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Friday December 31, 2010 4:38 PM

I agree with cakedujour....I don't use pins and I prefer to use RI for the "glue"
gwez is right about putting the ribbon on as late as possible before delivery or even after delivery.
Some people say they go ahead and stain the entire ribbon so it won't show spots...I haven't tried that.
I've had pretty good luck with putting the ribbon on right before delivery....sometimes there's a small stain but it hasn't been too bad.

Report Violation

Bottom

jschilt1
Posted: Sunday January 02, 2011 7:56 PM

I always use scotch tape to line the ribbon works wonderfully, you don't get the greasy spots and I even apply the ribbon the night before. Also I just use BC frosting to hold the ribbon together, always works for me

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: