skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Royal icing monogram topper
Created On Monday May 24, 2010 10:48 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Bakerbaby
Posted: Monday May 24, 2010 10:48 AM

It looks like some people have made cake topper monograms from white royal icing and sugar glitter. Is this the

case and if anyone has done this, do you have any tips? I'd like to do one for an up coming wedding cake in July.

Thanks for any help!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Monday May 24, 2010 4:56 PM

Sorry..I haven't done it but I don't see why you couldn't. I'd either use stars or colorflow for the initials and then when it's dry you can paint it with lemon extract and edible glitter.

Report Violation

Bottom

rhondascakes
Posted: Monday May 24, 2010 5:16 PM

Is royal icing sturdy enough to do this? I always find anything I do with RI breaks so easily.

Report Violation

Bottom

Bakerbaby
Posted: Monday May 24, 2010 5:22 PM

Maybe it wouldn't be sturdy enough. I would hate for it to break. Would lemon extract make it break down too? Is there something else people make them out of?
Thanks for your help.

Report Violation

Bottom

pamela.heun
Posted: Monday May 24, 2010 5:54 PM

I have made a couple monogram cake toppers out of Wilton's candy melts. It works great!

Report Violation

Bottom

Bakerbaby
Posted: Monday May 24, 2010 9:57 PM

Candy melts is a good idea. That is like chocolates isn't it? Can you pipe it. I've never used it before.

Report Violation

Bottom

pamela.heun
Posted: Monday May 24, 2010 11:06 PM

Yes, it is like chocolates. They come in a variety of colors or plain white. I simply just pipe them onto waxed paper and let them harden in the fridge. I pipe little spikes that go into the cake as well, to hold the thing on there. I hope that makes sense and helps you out a little.

Report Violation

Bottom

pamela.heun
Posted: Monday May 24, 2010 11:13 PM

Here is a picture of the last cake topper I did this way. It is a bass and treble clef note made into a heart. I always make 2 or 3 back-up ones just in case they break, but I've never had to use them! Good luck with yours!

IMG_0185 (Large).JPG IMG_0185 (Large).JPG  (34 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Tuesday May 25, 2010 6:56 AM

If you decide to try RI you should make the RI thick and it should hold up. I'd outline the letters with a round tip...not the very small ones..and fill in with colorflow or stars and let it dry . I find the thicker pieces hold up well...the thin ones do break easily.

Report Violation

Bottom

Mom 2_6
Posted: Tuesday May 25, 2010 7:45 AM

I have done this several times. Both are sort of fragile. I would do it again, though. Make several!!! When you make them let it dry, turn it over and pipe over the back to make it more sturdy. You can put glitter all over the front and the back. The choc will melt easily in your hands so do not handle them a lot.
Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

DiddaB
Posted: Tuesday May 25, 2010 8:35 AM

color flow always work for me
please copy and paste link below to view my cake

http://photos4.hi5.com/0123/228/995/pZmdxh228995-02.jpg

Report Violation

Bottom

salsaman42
Posted: Tuesday May 25, 2010 7:57 PM

i make monograms and lots of other things all tyhe time from RI. See www.andeatittoo.net if they're bigger things you have to increase the dimensions so the icing will be strong enough. I also spray the wax paper lightly with oil then lightly wipe some of it away with paper toweling, it helps a lot with removing the thing you made after it dries.

Report Violation

Bottom

Bakerbaby
Posted: Tuesday May 25, 2010 9:11 PM

Report Violation

Bottom

Bakerbaby
Posted: Tuesday May 25, 2010 9:13 PM

Thanks for all of the tips. You all are so smart and so helpful!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: