skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: freezing and frosting mini cupcakes
Created On Saturday May 08, 2010 2:57 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

travelightly
Posted: Saturday May 08, 2010 2:57 PM

I've read posts about freezing cakes and buttercream and know that's O.K. but I have some questions with respect to using mini-cupcakes.
How long ( if at all ) can I freeze them before they dry out due to their small size?
Do they need to be wrapped individually to freeze? If so, I need another plan!
Can I thin the buttercream icing and dip the cupcakes for faster and smoother icing and then decorate with roses etc.?

Thanks for any advice. My plans for my daughter's wedding "cake" have changed several times so far, but soon time will force me into action.

Report Violation

Bottom

tortnaya
Posted: Saturday May 08, 2010 8:44 PM

I work in a grocery store. We get our mini cupcakes already baked and frozen from a warehouse. They come in clamshells of 12. Sixteen clamshells per regular cardboard box. Nothing special as fas as wrapping goes except for being in those plastic clamshells. I ice them. Label them. And then they go in self-service freezer for 30 days. That's their standard shelf life after they have been iced. Now, I am not sure how much time passes from the time they are baked somewhere until they get to us to be iced and sold. But from the time I get hold of them -- it's 30 days in plasic clamshell in the freezer. And when I get them from the warehouse -- they are always very moist. Hope this helps to give you some idea ;-)

Report Violation

Bottom

travelightly
Posted: Monday May 10, 2010 7:15 PM

Thanks very much. That helps. I'm trying to be cautious, but make it as easy as possible at the same time.

Report Violation

Bottom

goncrzy1
Posted: Tuesday May 11, 2010 1:04 PM

When you freeze cupcakes or mini cupcakes, does the moisture not affect the cupcake "papers or wrappers?

Report Violation

Bottom

tortnaya
Posted: Tuesday May 11, 2010 7:38 PM

Nope. Never noticed anything weird with wrappers.

Report Violation

Bottom

travelightly
Posted: Thursday May 13, 2010 7:45 AM

Thanks for the advice. I am still debating if it would work to thin the BC enough so that I can just dip the cupcakes instead of spreading and smoothing. I think it would be a real time saver, since I need to do at least 300 of these and each one will have a rose on it. Any thoughts?

Report Violation

Bottom

tortnaya
Posted: Thursday May 13, 2010 8:32 AM

I havn't ever heard about dipping cupcakes or anything into thinned BC. So I don't know about taht one. Bt what I just tried the other day is smudge some thin regular BC on your cupcake so it has a thin layer on it with the cup of your hand, like they used to ice cupcakes a long time ago. And then dip it in microwaved breakfast roll icing. Breakfast roll icing can be colored in any color by adding some air brush or gel or food color. It's available in most bakeries. They ice cinnamon rolls with it. It's really white, really sweet, and a bit shiny glaze type of icing. At my bakery we sell it for $3.99 a pound. If it's heated for 20 seconds at a time in a micriwave and stirred (only just a few times) -- when you dip stuff in it, the breakfast roll icing sets and firms (meaning it won't drip), coating your cupcake with smooth and shiny and pretty layer. Hope it helps ;-)

Report Violation

Bottom

hunnybee
Posted: Wednesday June 09, 2010 4:55 PM

I am just curious if thinning the BC and dipping the cupcake in it worked out for you?

Report Violation

Bottom

travelightly
Posted: Wednesday June 09, 2010 9:22 PM

I wouldn't recommend it. I thought it would make life easier but I found I had a hard time hanging on to the cupcake upside down ( they were in double wrappers: foil and paper) and unless I squeezed tight, they fell out. Also, I think I thinned the BC too much because the icing never really hardened up as much as I wanted.

Report Violation

Bottom

hunnybee
Posted: Wednesday June 09, 2010 9:58 PM

Thanks for your reply. I just tried this tonight. I didn't want to make a whole batch of BC since it was a test. I bought a can of DH chocolate and heated it in the microwave for a few seconds until it was a thinner. I had no trouble dipping the cupcake into the frosting. Probably b/c I used one paper cupcake liner. I attached a photo of the done cupcake.

dipped cupcake 1.JPG dipped cupcake 1.JPG  (22 KB)
dipped cupcake 2.JPG dipped cupcake 2.JPG  (22 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

travelightly
Posted: Wednesday June 09, 2010 10:43 PM

Wow! That looks great. I wish I could use single liners but I need silver foil for the presentation. I wonder if I could just remove the paper liner before baking? Probably not. There must be a reason for its existence in the first place. I'll say it again though. I'm very impressed with how those cupcakes look.

Report Violation

Bottom

hunnybee
Posted: Wednesday June 09, 2010 10:49 PM

Ah, thanks for the compliment! I don't see why you can't bake w/out the white liner. Its been awhile since I used the foil liners but I think I used to use the foil liners alone.
Have a good day!

Report Violation

Bottom

m_mckinney1
Posted: Thursday June 10, 2010 8:40 AM

The foil liners that I buy say the paper is just for easier separation & it should be removed & thrown away HTH!

Report Violation

Bottom

travelightly
Posted: Thursday June 10, 2010 9:13 AM

OK. I feel dumb. I have Reynolds baking cups and it doesn't say that anywhere on the box. I guess I was supposed to figure that out. Thanks for the heads up.
As an aside, has anyone actually used these foil cups without a muffin tin? The box says you don't need a tin, but I tried one last night ( with the paper liner as well) and the whole thing collapsed with the weight of the batter.

Report Violation

Bottom

chianti
Posted: Thursday June 10, 2010 2:23 PM

yes i have used to foil liners alone w/o the muffin tin and it worked great! the paper liner is not to be used its for easier separation.

Report Violation

Bottom

travelightly
Posted: Thursday June 10, 2010 6:03 PM

So I removed the paper liner this time and I microwaved some buttercream (without thinning it). I dipped my cupcakes and it worked beautifully! I think this will save me a lot of time. Plus, the icing goes on so smoothly. It looks great. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!.
(Please don't anyone tell me that I can't microwave the buttercream without something terrible happening. This latest attempt just seems too good to be true.)

Report Violation

Bottom

hunnybee
Posted: Thursday June 10, 2010 6:58 PM

I just wanted to mention that I read in the 2009 Wilton yearbook that you should microwave the icing on the defrost setting and you can use Candy Melts too. I just wonder if using candy melts if it dries hard, maybe not though b/c its on cake, mmmh? I am going to try the Candy Melts and see what happens & let you know!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: