skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: sugar free cake recipes and icing recipes?
Created On Tuesday May 17, 2011 8:28 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

auntmandy
Posted: Tuesday January 05, 2010 8:35 AM

Hi I recently had a bride contact me about their wedding. The only problem is that she needs sugar free cake and icing. It seems like I have heard of sugar free cake mixes, however I haven't heard of sugar free decorator icings. Can it be done? Does anyone have any recipes for sugar free icings and cakes? Any healthier cake and icing recipes would be helpful. I had just started wondering about healthier and sugar free recipes before the bride contacted me. Any help would be soooo much appreciated. If you would just email it to me at allcakedup@gmail.com. Thanks so much in advance.

Report Violation

Bottom

Sugar Pie
Posted: Tuesday January 05, 2010 9:55 AM

Rich's products has a sugar-free whip topping. I've used this several years ago, and I liked it.
I absolutely love their regular whip topping. It's light & fluffy and easy to decorate with. I don't know if this will be easy to access. You might check at Sam's club or your local grocery store bakery department and see if they can order it for you.
You cannot get deep, intense colors with this product, but it's perfect for pastels. I have made my flowers and then sprayed them with an airbrush, but the coloring tends to fade. This is what I have experienced.

While we're on this subject.... It amazes me that people want something that's intended to be sweet -absolutely filled with sugar - and they want it sugar-free! I know it's devastating to be a diabetic, but there are some things that are just meant to be loaded with sugar. How can you take the sugar out of a mainly sugar product?
I'm in no way making fun - I'm just asking a question. I don't think sugar will be listed on the healthy list.

JeanneG use to have some pretty interesting comments on this subject. She talked a lot about portion control. How I miss her!! *)

I wish you luck in finding some sugar-free products to use. I'm interested in what you find. Keep us posted!

Report Violation

Bottom

wannabdecorator
Posted: Tuesday January 05, 2010 2:23 PM

one of the name brand instant cake mixes makes a light w splenda I think its pilsbury but I forgot now. I bought it once and thought it was fine. Also you can go to the diabetic area of any grocery store and find diabetic cake mixes. Here we have Krogers and they carry it by the healthy foods isle. Here is a recipe I just found online that doesnt sound to bad.

1 pint Whipping Cream
1 box Sugar Free Pudding
16 ounces Cream Cheese
3TBSP Splenda

Whip Whipping Cream in cold bowl until stiff (chill paddle too

Add softened cream cheese, pudding mix and Splenda.

Mix on medium speed until well blended.

Can be colored and piped

This icing will cover and decorate an 8-inch 2-layer round cake

Here is another one:

First make the powder sugar replacement recipe below.

Powdered Sugar Replacement
•2 cups nonfat dry milk powder

•2 cups cornstarch

•1 cup granulated sugar replacement
Directions
•Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Whip until well blended and powdered.

Then use above to follow this recipe

Sugar Free Icing Recipe
•1/4 cup solid shortening

•1/2 tsp vanilla flavoring

•3/4 cup powdered sugar replacement (above)

•1 Tblsp milk
Directions
•Cream together shortening and vanilla until light and fluffy.

•Stir in powdered sugar replacement and milk until well blended.

•The icing may be a little thick. If so, add a tsp of milk at a time until the desired consistency is reached.

Here is a cake recipe also(I think I would leave out the raisins though yuck!)

Sugar Free Cake
•1/2 cup butter

•2 eggs

•5 packets Sweet-n-Low

•1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce

•3 medium bananas (mashed & ripe)

•1/2 cup raisins

•2 cups self-rising flour

•1 tsp baking soda

•1/3 tsp allspice

•1/2 tsp cinnamon

•1 tsp vanilla

•1 cup chopped pecans
Directions:
•Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease 2 9" round pans or 1 9x13 pan.

•Beat eggs and add other ingredients. Beat together until well blended.

•Pour into prepared pan(s) and bake at 300 degrees for 40 minutes

Report Violation

Bottom

maybaby2011
Posted: Friday May 06, 2011 9:40 PM

"While we're on this subject.... It amazes me that people want something that's intended to be sweet -absolutely filled with sugar - and they want it sugar-free! I know it's devastating to be a diabetic, but there are some things that are just meant to be loaded with sugar. How can you take the sugar out of a mainly sugar product? I'm in no way making fun - I'm just asking a question. I don't think sugar will be listed on the healthy list. "

Until you understand what it is like to have a loved one (especially your significant other) who cannot have ANY sugar you will not understand what lengths the rest of us (who CAN have sugar) will go to to do our best so that they do not feel left out - especially for something as important as a wedding cake.

My husband is a 30-something TYPE 1 diabetic who absolutely cannot have sugar. He has had this disease since he was FIVE years old. When we got married 5 years ago I could not find a recipe for a good sugar free cake and icing. The best I could do was to use the Pillsbury boxed mixes that were REDUCED sugar. This is simply not the same thing. At least this enabled him to help me cut the cake for pictures and have a few bites himself.

Now we are fortunate that there are actual sugar free mixes and there are also more acceptable sugar free substitutes (we are very fond of Diabetisweet products) that we have found have no aftertaste (unlike Splenda). And imagine the absolute child-like smile on my husband's face when he was able to enjoy creme brulee WITH the scorched topping. After much research on my part I discovered that Diabetisweet CAN be burned like sugar while Splenda cannot.

So forgive me for being defensive to your comments because there are many people out there that are like my husband who through NO fault of their own cannot eat sugar. I get tired of hearing people (who can eat sugar) complain about sugar free products they consume just because they want to reduce carbs or something.

And think about those with the problems with wheat gluten these days. This was not a big problem 5 years ago, but now it is just about all you hear. There are many products that cater to gluten free, but still sugar free is problematic. So just because, in your opinion, something is meant to be "loaded with sugar" does not mean that we should not try to modify it so that our loved ones can feel like the rest of us and enjoy the same desserts that we do.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Saturday May 07, 2011 7:25 AM
View users profile

maybaby2011, welcome to the forum..
I found a sugar-free cake mix and frosting by Pillsbury at walmarts.
I used it at Easter time to make cupcakes for a family member who can not have sugar - as you mentioned-
It was easy to work with and was well received.
Here on Long Island there is one store dedicated entirely to sugar free products and baked goods..my husband loved there things..
ginnyl~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

mrstrucker
Posted: Wednesday June 27, 2012 3:29 PM

The cake mixes are very good...especially the chocolate.

The Sugar-Free chocolate icing is very good also. I have used it to decorate many a Sugar-Free cake that I have made. If it is too thick, I just thin it with some water or milk.

The Sugar-Free white icing is disgusting so I am on the look-out for some Sugar-Free icing recipes. Thanks for the one above...I will definitely be trying it as I have a SF cake to make for a wedding and it needs to have white icing with lavender and purple roses.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: