skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: the best way to freeze cakes?
Created On Sunday October 04, 2009 10:26 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

hrmcknight
Posted: Sunday October 04, 2009 10:26 PM

I have a four tier wedding cake due soon and I would like to make them ahead of time. What is the best way to freeze all 8 cakes? Do you wrap them in something or what? Any advise is appreciated.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Sunday October 04, 2009 10:32 PM

As you might expect, this is a very popular topic, as most home bakers have trouble doing a lot of tiers at the last minute.

I suggest you take a look at the Frequently Asked Questions post, question #15. After you've looked at the previous discussions, come on back with any specific questions you still have.

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=126866

Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Monday October 05, 2009 2:18 AM
View users profile

I always freeze my cakes ahead of time. Just bake them, level after cooling for about 15min in the pan, turn them out......some use a cooling rack, others, like myself don't. I just lay two pieces of wax paper over the cake in the pan and place a cardboard over that and flip them over. Then they get double wrapped in plastic wrap (the large bottom tier get wrapped in plastic and then put in a white garbage bag) and they all go into the freezer.

Report Violation

Bottom

susychpstk
Posted: Monday January 11, 2010 5:38 PM
View users profile

Dana,

Do you wrap them in plastic wrap right away after they've been cooled for 15 mins in the pan, or do you allow them to cool on the wax paper first, before wrapping and freezing?

I sort of did this today, refraining from using my cooling rack, and after about 15 mins, I turned them out onto parchment paper, and let them cool. I noticed when I went to wrap them to freeze, the parchment paper took along some of the top layer of the cake, which was super moist from the condensation as it cooled. Do you have this problem too? I'm curious if the same thing will happen when I go to unwrap them after they've thawed~whether the plastic wrap will stick to the cakes at this point also.

I've even had this issue when I use the cooling racks...the cakes stick to the grid of the rack. Any tricks or is it just par for the course?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Monday January 11, 2010 6:22 PM
View users profile

Hi Susan: I leave the wax paper between the cake and the cardboard and wrap and freeze. After they're frozen, the wax paper peels right off. I haven't had any problems doint it that way. If you let your cakes thaw in the plastic wrap, you might have some sticking, but I always unwrap them while still frozen, fill and crumb coat and then place a loose wrapping over the tier and let it thaw in the frig.

Report Violation

Bottom

susychpstk
Posted: Monday January 11, 2010 8:07 PM
View users profile

Oh perfect, Dana...that sounds like it would work much better without having that top thin layer peeling off.

Are they still on the warmish side when you wrap them in the plastic after cooling them for 15 mins?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Monday January 11, 2010 8:29 PM
View users profile

yes, they're still warm when they go into the freezer.

Report Violation

Bottom

Sophie Deprez
Posted: Monday January 11, 2010 8:59 PM

What is 'level' in cake terms? I know it is to be straight, even... but what do you do with the cake when you l'evel' it? Sorry I don't understand everything in English...

Sophie

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Tuesday January 12, 2010 1:02 AM
View users profile

Sophie ~ leveling is when you cut off the dome that rises up in the center of the cake after it bakes. Then you have a nice flat surface.

Report Violation

Bottom

Sophie Deprez
Posted: Tuesday January 12, 2010 1:23 AM

Ok, I thought it would be something like that.
But I do it after the cake comes out of the freezer, when it's no more frozen. Is there a reason to do it before you freeze it?
Thanks...

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Tuesday January 12, 2010 10:51 AM
View users profile

Sophie ~ you cut it off after the cake has cooled a little while it is still in the pan. I just use a serrated knife and use the edge of the pan as a guide to make it perfectly flat. Then, I lay 2 pieces of wax paper over the top and a cardboard and flip it over out of the pan. Then wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. (double wrap)

Report Violation

Bottom

Sophie Deprez
Posted: Tuesday January 12, 2010 11:39 AM

OK, now I understand very clearly.
So when I fill my pans, I have to make that they are filled about 2/3 with batter. Otherwise the cake won't be high enough to level it. Because sometimes I just fill 1/2 and of course when it's a very moist chocolate cake (yummie), it doesn't rise high enough to be aible to level it in the pan.

Sophie

Report Violation

Bottom

Beletta
Posted: Wednesday February 24, 2010 9:57 PM

new to the forum and was wondering how long can I freeze a cake - my daughters wedding is May 1 and would like to make the cake real soon thanks for your advise

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Thursday February 25, 2010 12:12 AM
View users profile

I would say the middle of April would be okay to freeze your cakes. Double wrap them in plastic wrap.

Report Violation

Bottom

Beletta
Posted: Thursday February 25, 2010 7:00 AM

thank you for quick reply - I'm so thankful to have found the forum - I have looked at the Wilton's website lots of time for ideas but didn't know about the forum room - now the last two nights I have spent hours (and I do mean hours after wk) reading and obtaining information and knowledge from wonderful people willing to share and encourage us first timers - again thank you

Report Violation

Bottom

CakeRN
Posted: Thursday February 25, 2010 10:52 AM

This is what I do when I bake the cakes. I use pilsbury cake mixes (not doctored). I use shortening and flour on the pans and a flower nail which i invert in the center of the pan. Wrap the pans with bake even strips that have been soaked in cold water. After baking, if it isn't level, I use a pot holder and press gentlely to level the cake. I then let it cool for 15 mins in the pan and then invert it on a nonstick cooling rack. After I let the outside completely cool, I wrap it securely in saran wrap, place on a metal platter/cookie sheet (sometimes the cake pan if it won't be used soon) and put it into the deep freeze. I have left cakes in the freezer for up to two months (my wedding cake) and they came out moist and no one was the wiser. When I take them out, I crumb coat while they are frozen, then as they thaw I ice, and decorate.

Report Violation

Bottom

atekell1
Posted: Saturday March 06, 2010 1:57 PM

I have had a problem with icing a cake that has been frozen. It sweats and the icing then wants to slide off the cake. Has anyone else had this problem? Perhaps the cake was still too cold?!?! Anyone have any ideas? Is there is a trick to determining when the cake is thawed enough?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Saturday March 06, 2010 3:04 PM
View users profile

For wedding cakes, I don't frost them with the final coat of frosting while they're still frozen. I do crumbcoat them while frozen and then they're put in the frig to thaw gradually. When I do a sheet cake, the layers are frozen when I put it together. I usually wait a few minutes and then just frost it and haven't had a problem doing it that way. I also keep them in the frig until pickup or delivery. Cakes don't really take that long to thaw........maybe a couple of hours.

Report Violation

Bottom

Beletta
Posted: Monday March 08, 2010 12:36 AM

Thanks for your response - do you use Pillsbury cake mixes for wedding cakes and etc? That would be easier if it would hold upto the four layers - I was told it needed to be the dense like a pound cake. What is your thoughts? I have a cake call Peach Blossom Cake picked out with a peach filling. Do you think I could put the filling between the layers? my filling consist of:frozen peach slices,sugar,butter,lemon juice,gelatin,cold water, & peach liquor (i use peach extract from Watkins)peaches and ingredients are cooked and cooled for 8 hours - so if i could freeze the layers that would be great, however, i do want it to taste fresh - what's your opinion? Thank you Beletta

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Monday March 08, 2010 1:35 AM
View users profile

I have used Pillsbury for years and haven't had a problem. Your peach filling sounds delicious but I would worry that it would get watery or the juice would seep out. Peaches have that tendency when mixed with sugar. I'm not sure what to tell you about that. I think I might be tempted to use a little peach liquor in a white cake mix and then use a commercial apricot filling instead. It would be close enough to the peach flavor in my opinion. Getting back to the cake mixes, remember that the dowells are what's holding the weight of the upper tiers, not the cake itself.

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: