skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: I need a heat proof icing recipe ASAP
Created On Friday April 17, 2009 12:57 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Val
Posted: Friday April 17, 2009 12:57 PM
View users profile

I am making my nephew's wedding cake. Everything is taking place OUTSIDE, at the end of APRIL in FLORIDA. I need a buttercream type icing that will stand up. Help please. Time's running out on me.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Friday April 17, 2009 1:12 PM

Val, I've noticed that Wilton offers 2 buttercream recipes for high-humidity conditions. One relies on added cornstarch, and the other uses flour and Dream Whip. Never having faced that challenge I haven't used either one, but I thought you might start by having a look at them.

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/High-Humidity-Icing-Recipe-I
http://www.wilton.com/recipe/High-Humidity-Icing-Recipe-II

I hope someone from a humid climate will report their experience with these two recipes or other ways they have found to cope.

Report Violation

Bottom

sharridee
Posted: Friday April 17, 2009 9:07 PM

Ive noticed adding wilton meringue powder ( 2 TBS) to 2lbs. of powdered sugar really helped hold a cake I had outside last summer. someone had told me to try this and i did'nt have any trouble. and I used crisco and no butter. just the butter flavoring.

Report Violation

Bottom

dillonsmimi
Posted: Saturday May 02, 2009 10:41 AM

Use high ratio shortening in place of reg veg shortening and use non dairy creamer (powdered kind 50-50 powder and water) and not have huge thickness of icing on the sides. You may still have some slippage be sure to take your emergency repair kit. mimi

Report Violation

Bottom

vthorse
Posted: Saturday May 02, 2009 10:00 PM

Could the meringue powder be added successfully (taste wise) to a cream cheese frosting to add stability? Thanks,

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom
Posted: Sunday May 03, 2009 9:03 AM

What do you mean by "add stability" to cream cheese icing? It adds more dry ingredients, so it isn't as soft. And it also helps prevent bleeding of dark colors. But it isn't going to make cream cheese icing hold up in hot weather or make it stable at room temp. I haven't ever used meringue powder in my cream cheese icing.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: