skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How to bake 2 cakes at the same time?
Created On Friday April 10, 2009 9:46 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

fivi
Posted: Friday April 10, 2009 9:46 AM

Can I bake two cakes at the same time? for example, two 16" square cake on two racks at the same time. If so, I assume I need to adjust temperature. Any suggestion? I baked two 8" cake at the same time on one rack,350F, 35mintues, the center was not done. I baked 5min. more, but the edges are too hard. Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

angelswings198
Posted: Friday April 10, 2009 9:59 AM

Personally, I do a cake at a time. I have an older oven and find it hard for the cakes to bake evenly and nicely when there is more then one. I have to move racks around and then one is too close to the top or bottom and doesn't get done nicely. I prefer to keep my rack in the middle of the oven, lower my temp to 325 and bake it a few minutes longer. It does take longer to get your cakes baked, but it's worth it for a lovely cake! Other bakers may have better ideas for you...especially if they have better oven then I do! LOL...mines an old beast! :-) Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

susychpstk
Posted: Friday April 10, 2009 10:44 AM
View users profile

Fivi~

I've used the "bake even strips" from Wilton and they've worked great so far. You can even make your own but just cutting strips of cloth (towels), soaking them in water, wring them out so they're damp, and place around the outside of your cake pans.

The other thing to consider, is the type of pan you're using. Dark metals will produce darker colored cakes, and I've found it helpful to lower the temperature to 325 degrees to prevent the outside overcooking, and the inside from being undercooked.

You can also place a metal flower nail (the ones you use to make roses, etc) in the center of your cake. The metal of the nail heats up the center of your cake while baking, and thus cooks it more evenly at the inside of the cake.

I have yet to bake a 16 inch cake, but will need to in the near future. I think for a large cake like this, I'll be only baking one cake at a time. I have baked a 6", 8", 10" in the center rack of my oven, and a few cupcakes on the next level lower (not the bottom rack though), and it seemed everything turned out great...I just kept a close watch on everything, as they all came out at different times.

Hope this helps!

Susan

Report Violation

Bottom

sharridee
Posted: Friday April 10, 2009 11:09 AM

it takes longer to bake 2 or more cakes at a time, its so much faster (time wise) to 1 at a time. at least for me.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Friday April 10, 2009 11:26 AM
View users profile

I only bake on the middle rack, whatever fits , at 325

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Friday April 10, 2009 11:55 AM

Check your oven manual. If you can't find it, the manufacturer probably has it on their website. The manuals usually have a diagram for the best placement of items when you are using two racks.

Try to avoid having items directly over each other. For example put the item on the top rack toward the left back, and on the bottom rack place the item toward the right front. Don't place them both in the center of the rack, which blocks good air circulation.

Having said that, it is best to bake cakes on a single rack. Often you can bake two smaller cakes successfully together. For me, the large cakes are challenging enough to bake evenly without complicating it by using two racks. Therefore I don't even own 2 of the larger pans. If I'm never going to bake two 14" rounds together, there is no point in having 2 14" round pans, is there?

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom
Posted: Saturday April 11, 2009 10:38 AM

I bake smaller cakes together (like 10" rounds & 6" rounds), but I wouldn't do (2) 16" rounds together. I agree with Jeanne that that size pans are difficult enough to bake evenly. Plus, I don't have a mixer big enough to mix up that much cake batter!

Report Violation

Bottom

fivi
Posted: Wednesday April 15, 2009 10:14 PM

Thanks a lot, everyone!!! I will bake on the middle rack.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: