skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: How far in advance can I make wedding cupcakes?
McRose 02/04/2009 4:01 PM
Hi I want to make my own cupcakes for my wedding in March. However the closest I can make them to the day is 2 days before. I would like to make a few different flavours and use buttercream icing.
My wedding is on Friday, and I will be leaving my home on Thursday around 3.00
I can make them a couple of weeks beforehand and freeze them. Then defrost on the Thursday morning and ice them.
Will they keep until Friday night? How should they be stored in the meantime?
Thanks for any feedback!
McRose 02/13/2009 8:36 AM
*Bump*

Anyone at all know?
MomoPatti 02/13/2009 3:46 PM
You are very brave to tackle this project for your own wedding! I made my sons wedding cake and about drove myself crazy with all of the other tasks we had to do for an outdoor wedding at our home.

But to answer your question, I would think they would be fine for 2 days as long as you can keep them sealed well. I routinely make and ice cakes that far in advance and they're fine as long as they're kept tightly boxed. I dont know how would you adequately freeze cupcakes.
karlab 02/14/2009 8:06 PM
Check out this website, it know about cupckaes.

http://www.crazyaboutcupcakes.com/learning.htm

Check what they said about Storage.....

Store your cupcakes in a plastic airtight container in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for several days. The only cupcakes that you will need to eat within a day of preparing are ones that use uncooked eggs in the frosting.

Cupcakes keep well in the freezer. When you have some free time bake a batch of cupcakes and whip up some frosting. Do not frost the cupcakes. Divide the cupcakes and frosting into separate airtight containers. When you want a treat defrost the cupcakes and frosting, ice and decorate, and serve.
clm 02/14/2009 8:18 PM
I made cupcakes for my nieces wedding and experimented with several methods. I was traveling across the country and the wedding was 4 hours from their home. I ended up using the white chocolate cupcakes in the Cupcakes from the Cake Doctor book. They can be frozen or stored in the fridge. I used cream cheese icing and stored them un-iced in the freezer, on the counter and the fridge in freezer zip lock bags. After icing they kept in the fridge for a few days and no one could tell which were so

I ended up renting a commercial kitchen the day before the wedding and just making them there and storing in the hotel fridge overnight.

I would recommend looking at the Cupcakes from the Cake Doctor book, she give instructions on how to store from counter top for a few days to freezing for months.

Good luck,

Cindy
c'sue 02/14/2009 8:18 PM
Chocolate cupcakes dry out very quickly. I always make my cupcakes no earlier than 1 day ahead.

Freezing cupcakes. If you go this route, don't make them too far ahead. Cupcakes can easily get freezer-burn or taste like they have it.

Best of luck.