skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How many layers in each tier?
Created On Friday November 21, 2008 9:23 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

JennyBug
Posted: Sunday November 16, 2008 8:01 PM

Hi everyone,

How many layers do you have in each tier of a wedding cake - 4 layers cake with 3 layers filling/buttercream or 2 layers of cake with one layer of filling/buttercream in the middle?

I'm making a 3 tier wedding cake for the first time and am afraid 4 layers of cake per tier will make it unstable? The layers will be filled with swiss meringue.

Thanks everyone!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes4U
Posted: Monday November 17, 2008 9:20 AM

I use two layers with buttercream in between. I am afraid if you mean four layers of 2" cake it will be a very tall cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Monday November 17, 2008 9:23 AM
View users profile

I use 2" pans and bake two layers for each tier making it about 4" high. The filling goes between the two layers.

Report Violation

Bottom

JennyBug
Posted: Monday November 17, 2008 3:28 PM

Thanks for your input! To clarify, I want to bake 2 pans, each are 3 inches high. Then I want to cut each of these pans in half to get four thin layers in total, then have 3 layers of frosting in between (so that the finshed tier will be about 4 inches high). Does anyone else do the same thing, and have you had any problems with stability (like leaning cakes)?

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom
Posted: Monday November 17, 2008 3:30 PM

I use (2) 2" layers with one layer of filling. However, you could torte those 2 cakes & then you'd have 3 layers of filling. I've done this with stacked cakes when requested. Some people also use 3" pans & torte them twice (2 layers of filling).

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Wednesday November 19, 2008 9:34 AM

If you are stacking two cakes, each 3" high to begin with and also torted with filling added, I don't see how you are going to wind up with a cake about 4" high. Your cake would be more than 6" high ... and that is not a practical size to slice and serve. For one thing, it would take a full dinner plate, not a dessert plate.

Have I misunderstood what you have in mind?

Report Violation

Bottom

JennyBug
Posted: Wednesday November 19, 2008 4:01 PM

Jeanne G:
Oh yes, there's a typo! I meant to say that each pan was 2" high and since I wouldn't fill the pan to the top, each layer would be just under 2". I agree, a 6 inch cake slice is massive, although I have seen a cake with 12" high tiers - needless to say, some unconventional slicing!

hpjmom:
Thanks for your advice! My friend's mom is going to lend me her 4 inch deeps pans, so I think I will go with your suggestion and make 3" cake and torte it twice. "Torte," that's the word I was looking for.

Thank you everyone!

Report Violation

Bottom

randompersun
Posted: Friday November 21, 2008 9:23 AM

I would do 3 layers of cake to 2 layers of filling. Or, you could do 4 layers of cake with 3 thin layers of filling and your height would still be 4" to 4 1/2".

Where I work, I cut a lot of wedding cakes and I've found that the cakes that are just 2 way too thick layers of cake with only one layer of filling tend to fall apart when slicing and serving. There's just not enough support in those two giant layers to hold the piece together. Every cake is different though.

When I do my cakes I always do at least 3 layers of cake. This adds stability and support for the whole piece, making it easier to cut and serve. Each layer is about 3/4 inch tall to 1" tall and the filling varies depending on if I'm doing 3 layers of cake or 4. But I always shoot for at least 4" in height either way.

I wouldn't recommend doing a single layer of cake within a tier taller than 2". The piece, when cut, just caves in on itself.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: