skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: At-Home-Bakery license
Created On Tuesday October 14, 2008 8:52 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

4jheffner
Posted: Thursday October 09, 2008 8:49 AM

I live in the state of PA and am looking into getting a license for an at-home-bakery and I am having a hard time figuring out what PA department I need to contact. Does anyone out there have a advise for me?

Report Violation

Bottom

peggysue415
Posted: Thursday October 09, 2008 9:32 PM

You need to start with your local health dept. If you pass inspection they can tell you how to get you license. I don't have a license because I don't have a separate kitchen. In the state of VA you have to have a separate kitchen from your home kitchen, no pets, and a bunch of other stuff. Good luck.

Report Violation

Bottom

mjsoldano
Posted: Friday October 10, 2008 7:40 AM

Contact this person:

Martha M. Melton
PA Dept of Ag
2301 N. Cameron Street
Harrisburg PA 17110-9404
mmelton@state.pa.us

I had trouble finding info, too, so I emailed the Dept of Ag and this lady replied. She attached the requirements.

In which part of PA do you live? I live in Somerset, Somerset County.

Report Violation

Bottom

4jheffner
Posted: Friday October 10, 2008 8:46 AM

If I don't get a license will I eventually get in trouble. So far I haven't and it has been two years but I don't advertise it is just all word of mouth and I don't do a lot. I am a stay-at-home mom and wanted to get a little more serious about it.

Report Violation

Bottom

4jheffner

I live in Huntingdon, Huntingdon County. Thank you for the contact info.

Report Violation

Bottom

dodiescreativecakes

4jheffner when you find out any info could you please let me know also. i am not sure if i want to try to do that myself or just keep doing what i am doing. my email dnsnmenard@verizon.net. i also live in PA. if i find anything out i will let you know.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G

Don't know about PA, but often it is the Department of Agriculture that reglates food products. You may (or may not) also need a business license or tax ID, etc.

Report Violation

Bottom

mjsoldano
Posted: Friday October 10, 2008 10:45 AM

I live in PA and also had a problem finding who to contact at the Dept of Ag so I emailed them and received a reply from the following person:

Martha M. Melton
mmelton@state.pa.us

She attached the guidelines with her email.

I live in Somerset, Somerset County. In which part of PA do you live?

Report Violation

Bottom

Cindy'sCakery
Posted: Friday October 10, 2008 11:08 AM

peggysue415

where do you live in va? all you have to do in va is contact the board of agriculture and they will send you an info packet. there's a contact name and you work with them to come out to your home for an inspection. all the items used for your cake business must be separated and labled from home use but you do not have to have a whole separate kitchen. i just got my packet and am beginning to do this. the ph# is (804)786-3520. sorry to OP didn't mean to hijack your post.

Report Violation

Bottom

preetscake
Posted: Sunday October 12, 2008 5:30 PM

Cindy'scakery..thanks for that info..I'm in VA too and have recently started to think about the licence and stuff..It's a great relief to know from you that atleast we do not need a seperate kitchen here in Va...pl.let me know if you hv any more info on this for me..I would really appreciate.
my id is pretty.cakes@yahoo.com
thanks so much.

Report Violation

Bottom

4jheffner
Posted: Tuesday October 14, 2008 8:52 AM

I emailed Martha Melton and she email me a Guidance Document. Basically it is a $35 fee. You do not have to have a separate kitchen for cakes. No pets that are free running such as cats or dogs and children are not permitted in the kitchen during preparation of the items. You have to have an inspection of your home. You must have a separate area for you ingredients and pans and so on, such as a specific cupboard in your kitchen. If you email her she will send you a document that outlines everything and tells what steps to take.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: