skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Number of cake mixes for first tiered cake
Created On Sunday October 26, 2008 8:48 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Karenecr
Posted: Wednesday September 10, 2008 5:59 PM

I have always done sheet cakes, but am attempting a three -tiered wedding cake for my own fifteenth anniversary vow renewal. This is probably a very basic question, but my pans did not come with directions. Normally I make the batter, but since I am doing all the food myself, I am using cake mixes this time. How many boxes for a 14 inch round, then a 10 inch round and finally a six inch round. Thank you for your input and pray that Hurricane Ike doesn't blow into my garden ceremony!AAGH!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Thursday September 11, 2008 7:28 AM
View users profile

For the 14", you will need 6 cake mixes (3 ea layer);, the 10" will need 3 mixes (1 1/2 ea. layer) and the 6 will need one box. If you have any more questions, email me. Dana
danafiler@earthlink.net
www.cakekeepsakes.com

Report Violation

Bottom

jschilt1
Posted: Thursday September 11, 2008 7:28 AM

This is the same size cake I am making for a wedding this weekend, luckily I practiced to know exactly how many cakes to use. My cake pans are 2" deep, so you need 2 layers. I use one cake mix for the 6" for both layers so one half mix in one of the pans and the other half in the other pan. I use 1 and a quarter mixes for each layer for the 10" pan. Finally I use 2 mixes for each layer of the 14" inch pan. So all together you need 8 cake mixes with a little let over from the 10". Hope this helps!

Report Violation

Bottom

BeasteezGurl
Posted: Thursday September 11, 2008 1:36 PM

I am baking my first wedding cake today, and am using DH white cake mix. I add 1 box of pudding, oil as called for, and substitute milk for the water. 2 boxes make 10 cups, which is what Wilton calls for in a 14" pan. My 14" has about 10 mins left to bake and it is already rounded higher than the pans edge. Here's the link to the pan size/measurements/baking chart from Wilton (i found this very helpful) http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

I am also doing the same tiers as you...I have so far used 7 boxes and have 1 layer of the 14", 1 layer of the 6", and both layers of the 10" done. Will probably use 3 more to complete the second layer of 14" and 6" tiers. I'm also making a 13x9 rectangle to make sure there is enough per the bride's request, since it's a casual invitation wedding there may be a few more attend than accounted for.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmmsomthng
Posted: Monday September 15, 2008 8:26 AM

beasteez, what does adding the pudding, and milk do for your cake.. i use and love dh, and dont add anything....everyone loves it... if i add pudding, will they love it more?

i did a wedding cake for saturday... wait til i post the pictures of what i call "The Beast"!! dam that martha stewart and her books!!! I DONT DO FONDANT OR ROYAL ICING!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

BeasteezGurl
Posted: Tuesday September 16, 2008 8:12 AM

It makes it more moist, and i add the extra egg and use milk instead of water. Everyone said it was delicious. I have actually never made a box mix cake following the directions. I think overall it makes for a firmer cake than the box mix recipe. My grandmother taught me this recipe and she made alot of wedding cakes and special occasion cakes.
Try it with 1 mix and then 1 mix following the box...i've never done a side-by-side comparison.

Report Violation

Bottom

gr8_seamstress
Posted: Tuesday September 16, 2008 8:31 AM

Right here on Wilton.com there is a great reference for pans....how many servings.......cups of batter.....cups of icing needed to ice & decorate.

Report Violation

Bottom

sharridee
Posted: Wednesday September 17, 2008 8:52 AM

I KNOW THAT PILLSBURY'S CAKE MIX IS 5 CUPS PER BOX. WILTON CAN TELL YOU HOW MANY CUPS PER PAN.
6" 2 C.
8" 3 1/2 C.
10" 6 C.
12" 7 1/2 C.
14" 10 C.
16"15 C.
SO ABOUT 7 BOXES OF MIX

Report Violation

Bottom

PrettyCakeLady
Posted: Friday September 19, 2008 7:23 AM

Hi,

I use cake mixes as well. The number of boxes for each tier depends on the brand of mix you are using. I use Pillsbury for my cakes. I baked a wedding cake last year 14/10/6. I consulted with an aunt who is a retired decorator and used Pillsbury her entire baking career. She advised me to use 2 boxes for each layer of the 14in. cake, 1 box for each layer of the 10in. cake and 1 box for the 6in. (both layers). I followed her advice and needless to say, I found myself having to rebake the 10 and 14 inch layers due to not having enough batter in the pans. The cakes rose but not high enough and looked horrible. I rebaked the 14 inch tier using almost 3 boxes for each layer. The 10 inch used 1 and 1/2 boxes for each layer. Sorry for being so long winded but I want to save anyone I can from all the extra work I had to do with this cake. If you are using Pillsbury please use 3 boxes for the 14 and 1 1/2 for the 10in. so you will have nice full layers. Hope this helps you.

Report Violation

Bottom

shann221
Posted: Friday October 24, 2008 3:58 PM

I am making a cake using 12" 10"and 6" how many boxes should I use of the Pillsbury mix. I fiqure I would use 2 per layer for 12" 1 per layer for the 8" and 1 for the 6" so a total of 7 boxes of mix does this sound right.
Thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Sunday October 26, 2008 8:48 PM
View users profile

yes, that's what I would use also.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: