skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: satin ribbon on buttercream cake
Created On Thursday July 10, 2008 4:27 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

omi41
Posted: Sunday June 29, 2008 8:30 PM

Hi, all!
I have a question about putting satin ribbon around the base of buttercream cakes. I have a wedding cake in about 3 weeks and the bride just informed me that she would like this. My question is-
How do I do it without the buttercream "bleeding" onto the ribbon?
I have a girl friend who lined her ribbon with acetate strips, but she was not completely satisfied with that. I'm not a "crafty" girl, so I am wondering if there's some type of shelac product to buy in a craft store that I could spray on the ribbon, but still keep it pliable and soft.
Maybe that's silly and I don't know what I'm talking about. I am a professionally trianed pastry chef/stay at home mom, now, but I've just never put fabric ribbon on my cakes before, so I am stumped!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Monday June 30, 2008 8:01 AM
View users profile

No, I don't think some type of spray on thing would be safe for on the ribbon and then on the cake. I've used alot of ribbon and most of the time I haven't used any backing on it and it turns out fine. To be on the safe side though, you can use scotch tape on the back and then apply the ribbon right after the cake is frosted so it will stick. Dana
www.cakekeepsakes.com

Report Violation

Bottom

mjsoldano
Posted: Monday June 30, 2008 8:01 AM

I haven't had any problems with the buttercream bleeding onto the ribbon, and I've done several cakes with ribbon. I let the buttercream crust and don't put the ribbon on the cake until I deliver and set it up a couple hours before the reception. At receptions nowadays the cake is cut almost as soon as the couple arrives so it's not like the ribbon is on the cake for hours and hours to soak up the grease.

So try letting the buttercream crust and putting the ribbon on the cake at the last minute when you deliver it. Good luck and please post a picture!

Report Violation

Bottom

gidgy79
Posted: Monday June 30, 2008 8:08 AM

If you use a buttcream that crusts and you give it time to crust before putting the ribbon on, it should be ok. No guarantees though. You could try cutting strips of waxed paper to put on under the ribbon. I have done this before, but it is a huge pain!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmmsomthng
Posted: Monday June 30, 2008 8:08 AM

if someone has a solution, id love to hear it too... I dont care too much for ribbon, but i do it all the time.... depending on the color, the ribbon doesnt look to bad after the buttercream soaks in (ivory& pastel colors look ok).... The ribbon just likes to pucker, i guess you could call it puckering... This past weekend i did a ribbon cake and the customer supplied a waterproof ribbon. I thought eureka!!!! Well, i work at a bakery that has no air in the back where i work, and saturday it was 90 degrees and extremely humid.... I've never seen a cake sweat to bad, and that so called waterproof ribbon was not working!!!!!! SO ......... we got out some left-over satin ribbon we had, and i made that work.... looked nice This was the weekend of cakes from hell!!! People can find some ugly cakes on the internet, let me tell you!! And its all FONDANT!! I dont do fondant, but I get it done out of buttercream, yes most of the fondant cakes can be duplicated in buttercream.

Report Violation

Bottom

jonquil
Posted: Monday June 30, 2008 5:14 PM

I did a ribbon on cake this weekend, frosting was chocolate buttercream, and the ribbon was polyester. It (BC) definately started to bleed through the minute I put it on the cake, and yes, the cake had crusted already, so I took the ribbon off, smeared on some shortening, then wiped off the excess with a papertowel, then put back on the cake, and it looked OK. But maybe that was because it was polyester? I'll have to try satin next time! - Jen

Report Violation

Bottom

Baker413
Posted: Monday June 30, 2008 5:14 PM

I too had an issue with this, with Ivory satin ribbon, it didn't show until my pics came out, will post shortly.

Report Violation

Bottom

vanna
Posted: Wednesday July 02, 2008 8:10 AM

Ribbon seems to be the cool thing now. I do 4 or 5 wedding cakes every summer. Last year I had one with ribbon, this year I have 4. I've used satin and polyester. Those both seemed to work OK. I did warn the bride though on the satin the color may change slightly due to soaking up the grease. When all was said and done you couldn't really tell and it looked nice. Here's a pic of the one last summer and one I've done this summer. The one with green ribbon had some flowers added but the florist hadn't delivered them yet when I set it up.

Heeb1.jpg Heeb1.jpg  (128 KB)
sageribbon.jpg sageribbon.jpg  (90 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

mmmsomthng
Posted: Wednesday July 02, 2008 4:56 PM

why does mine pucker, not everytime, but more than id like it to???? theres no wire in it.

Report Violation

Bottom

farfalla
Posted: Tuesday July 08, 2008 10:05 AM

I always put on two layers of ribbon, it works fine everytime

Report Violation

Bottom

omi41
Posted: Wednesday July 09, 2008 4:36 PM

Thanks for your advice. After a lot of thinking I've decided to wet the ribbon before putting it on the cake, so it will already be a slightly different color the whole way through. It should also help the ribbon stick to the cake. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Report Violation

Bottom

Ruthmarie
Posted: Thursday July 10, 2008 4:27 PM

If you use that wide packing tape and then trim it, it does work great. Lightly brush piping gel around the base of the cake and then apply the ribbon. It really works great. I have also completely coated the ribbon with shortening and then just applied the ribbon and that also works great too but does darken the ribbon. It just doesn't have the same look to me. The packing tape works really good on square cakes because when you go round the corner it allows you to crease it nicely so it lays nice and flat.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: