skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Boxed Cake Mix Alterations for a Dense Cake
loverofcakes 06/12/2008 8:39 AM
Hello everyone!

This is my very first request for help as I am very new to cake decorating and baking. I absolutely love this discussion forum and thank all of you that have
helped me thus far with your amazing and educational posts/answers.

Specifically, I am in need of information regarding how to alter the simple recipe for
a boxed cake mix in order to still keep the moisture while decorating with a
more solid cake, reducing the amount of accidents I may have in the process.
I vaguely recall a forum member giving a very helpful tip at one time regarding
this matter, but I did not remember to write it down for when I really needed it
which happens to be now :-).

Thank you in advance for your assistance regarding this matter!

Stacey
first_attempt 06/12/2008 3:43 PM
I recently used Duncan Hines pound cake recipe using Betty Crockers chocolate cake and got RAVE reviews. Here it is:

1 box cake mix
4 eggs
1 1/4 C water
1 tbs oil
1 box (4 serving size) instant pudding mix, matching the flavor of the cake mix

I bake my cakes at a lower temp and for longer than recommended, usually 250 for nearly an hour. I find it cooks more evenly.

Good luck!
hpjmom 06/12/2008 3:48 PM
For a dense cake, I use a boxed mix plus 1/2 cup milk or water, 1/2 cup oil, 8 oz sour cream, 4 eggs & one small box of instant pudding.
loverofcakes 06/13/2008 8:32 AM
Thank you so very much for responding! I look forward to trying out your very
yummy sounding recipe :-).
loverofcakes 06/13/2008 8:32 AM
I am also very anxious to try your recipe as well! Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
Froro 06/13/2008 8:42 AM
I just tried this the other day and it worked out fabulously. Dense but super moist.

I just used the regular box mix. I used their instructions for eggs and oil but I added a small packet of instant pudding (vanilla..I was making a golden cake), and instead of water or milk I substituted buttermilk.

It was excellent!!! I posted pics on the life celebrations section. I used it for the Hollywood cakes. I had to lean one round cake against another. I'm not a professional so alot of tools and such I don't have (like those things you put cakes on in between layers). I wanted to make sure the leaning cake wouldn't sag. It didn't and the whole thing was delish in the end. I made it for a conference I was attending.