skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: chess cake for a groom-- Help!
Mom 2_6 04/29/2008 9:03 AM
I need to make a chess cake for a grooms wedding cake. I need some ideas! How can you make the pieces 3D? I cannot find them on line. Does anyone have pictures or any ideas I could use? How about the checker board. I thought if I iced it in chocolate then use fondant to make the white squares, that might work. I need some suggestions. Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks, Mom 2_6

Edited: 04/29/2008 9:03 AM by Moderator

ReneCupcake 04/29/2008 3:12 PM
What about black and white fondant squares.. then make your chess pieces from gumpaste /fondant little shapes....

Edited: 04/29/2008 3:12 PM by Moderator

telynn68 04/29/2008 3:41 PM
I don't know if pics will help, but I googled chess cakes here is the link.

http://tinyurl.com/5mu7zu

HTH.
Mom 2_6 04/30/2008 9:38 AM
ReneCupcake
I would not know where to begin to make the chess pieces out of gumpaste or fondant. Can you explain this? I have made flowers but not shaped items like this.
sweetmagnolia 04/30/2008 2:29 PM
There is a candy mold that is the board and the checkers. I found mine on eBay.
I made black and white squares for the game board and white and red candy checkers then I used a gold powder dust to make some of the checkers look as if they were crowned.
hope this helps
lastewart 05/01/2008 9:36 AM
Mom 2_6

I make a Chess cake twice a year for our chess club at school....and if you are interested I will forward a picture of it....really easy to do and I have had lots of compliments. I use a 160x16x2 pan

lastewart
alstewart@starpower.net

FLbkr 05/07/2008 8:41 AM
lastewart: can you forward me picture, instructions on how to do the chess cake? Send to: cpp3239@yahoo.com

thanks!
SDB 05/08/2008 8:54 AM
Hi Mom 2_6

There's a chess board groom's cake on my webpage:
www.sylviasweetsensations.com.

The square cake is iced with chocolate icing. Use a ruler to see what size the chess board will be. Cut out white and chocolate fondant squares accordingly and place them on top of the chocolate icing. (If you have square cookie cutters, the job won't take too much time. Or you may use a pizza cutter and a ruler to cut the checkerboard squares.) Put a buttercream icing border around the fondant checkerboard squares and the bottom border. Depending on the height of the square cake, feel free to decorate the sides of the cake with scrollwork or anything design that looks masculine. I used a round 6-inch cake pan as a mold for the chocolate sign. Pipe the message with melted chocolate of a contrasting color.

The chess pieces are made from chocolate and white chocolate Wilton candy melts. The chess piece candy molds were purchased from Sugarcraft, an online store in Ohio. A local cake decorating store with a wide selection of chocolate candy molds may have them, too. Keep in mind that you will have to purchase two sheets of chess candy molds because you will need two molds for each chess piece so the pieces will stand upright on the cake. Use melted chocolate to piece the two chocolate pieces together so each chess piece will look three-dimensional. The good thing is that these chess pieces are edible!

If you are pressed for time, you may purchase an inexpensive chess set and use the pieces from that.

You can e-mail me with any other questions. Good luck.