skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Topic Title: putting ribbon on cake
Created On Thursday February 21, 2008 9:58 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Emmie28
Posted: Monday February 18, 2008 1:26 PM

I'm putting a 7/8" ribbon along the base of the layers. Can I just use frosting like glue to put it on?

Report Violation

Bottom

Piece-A-Cake
Posted: Tuesday February 19, 2008 10:36 AM

Yes, but if the frosting has a lot of oil in it, it will seep into the ribbon and make it look bad, I would suggest experimenting just with the ribbon and the frosting.

I have a silly question; I see that your ID is Emmie28 is your name Emilie? My name is Emilie and some people call me Emmie lol

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Tuesday February 19, 2008 10:46 AM
View users profile

If I'm frosting the cakes with buttercream, I put the ribbon on immediately after frosting the cake and it will stick by itself. If you're using fondant, I believe you can use a little royal icing or even a dab of regular frosting to attach it. I don't do fondant so someone will have to answer that for sure.

Report Violation

Bottom

amandagrace23
Posted: Tuesday February 19, 2008 11:00 AM

Hi Emmie,

I just position the ribbon around the tier where I want it, then push slightly to adhere the ribbon to the cake. In the back where the ribbon overlaps, I use a small dab of glue from a hot glue gun. I hear that you can use frosting, but I was worried that it wouldn't stick or make unsightly grease spots in the back. This method worked great for me.

Hope that helps,

Amanda

Report Violation

Bottom

Di'sCakes
Posted: Tuesday February 19, 2008 11:00 AM
View users profile

Yes, but be careful....you don't want to add too much where is will squish out some at the top or bottom of your ribbon. Normally I add just a tiny bit on the back side to begin with....then pull the ribbon kind of tight as I go around it.....and it will just kind of stick by itself....then when I get to the back side again....I attach a small dot and lap it over where I started. I try to use ribbon that has more acrylic in it.....100% cotton ribbon will soak up bad! Or you can attach and iron some waxed paper on the backside of the ribbon and then trim it off.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday February 21, 2008 9:58 AM

For CLOTH or SATIN RIBBON:

I do NOT recommend putting any kind of ribbon directly on buttercream icing. The fats and the oils in the icing will absorb into the ribbon! The coloring of the ribbon could also come off on the icing. This makes for a really bad combination.

Here are two different ways I have done it..... both with success!

1. Take your ribbon and lay it out on the counter or kitchen table with the "good side facing down. Place Scotch tape (or the wider mailing tape actually works better) on the ribbon. Cut off any overhang excess tape.

2. Do the same as #1 but I use clear contact paper instead of the tape.

The tape or the contact paper seals the ribbon so that it does not absorb the icing. You can attach it in the back of the cake with a dab of icing to hold it in place.

Works like a charm and there are no worries.

For FONDANT RIBBONS:

You can just cut them out to even thicknesses and widths and attach with buttercream on the back.

Good Luck!
Bunnywoman

Report Violation

Bottom

snickers260
Posted: Sunday October 03, 2010 11:38 PM

Here is an article about attaching ribbon to cakes. I have found it very helpful.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5051944_attach-ribbon-wedding-cake.html

Report Violation

Bottom

salsaman42
Posted: Monday October 04, 2010 4:33 AM

the last cake with ribbon that i did I sprayed the ribbon with pam before putting it on the cake, then wiped off the excess. That way it's already oiled, and will not show any spotting from the butter cream.

Report Violation

Bottom

katebaking
Posted: Wednesday April 02, 2014 10:57 AM

Hi, it took me a while to figure out the best way to attache ribbon on fondant cakes. The best way I've found was to use a round headed pin, however this isn't the safest method to use. Alternatively royal icing works well. I only bake as a hobby so I have to admit I will use a pin as I'm usually the one who ends up cutting the cake and family/friends events. It's also worth checking out www.bakingit.com. I use this site all the time now as it has calculators which work everything out for you including lengths of ribbon. I have the cakestacker app so it's handy to check out wherever I am. http://cakestacker.bakingit.com/

Report Violation

Bottom

PattyDif
Posted: Wednesday April 02, 2014 11:58 AM
View users profile

Scotch tape method works great as Bunnywoman mentions. I normally use that method.

Report Violation

Bottom

PattyDif
Posted: Wednesday April 02, 2014 11:59 AM
View users profile

Good idea Salsaman!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Weddings < REFRESH >
Navigation: