skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Advanced Gum Paste Flowers Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Gerber daisy
Created On Saturday June 09, 2012 8:44 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Rosiesan
Posted: Saturday June 09, 2012 8:44 PM

Does anyone know how to attach the Gerbera daisy on a wire? I know the way to wire gum paste flowers, but the Gerbera daisy is a big and heavy flower and I'm wondering if the 20 gage wire is not going to be thick enough to hold it. Is there another way to get a support for this flower if you want to put it sticking up on a cake.

If someone have a suggestion I will appreciate it.
Thanks a lot

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday June 11, 2012 9:44 AM
View users profile

The Iced Queen, a forum member, has demonstrated how to do that on her blog post:

Stems for Sunflowers & Gerbera Daisies

Report Violation

Bottom

Rosiesan
Posted: Monday June 11, 2012 1:39 PM

Spookiy-789 thank you for the information.
I will go to the link you posted to see the instructions to add stem to these big flowers. They are really pretty and I think they should be up showing off more.

Thanks again

Report Violation

Bottom

rowantree
Posted: Monday July 02, 2012 8:53 PM

The tutorial is fine for a sunflower, but daisies, black-eyed susans and gerbera daisies sit op almost flat on top of their stems, so you'd need to make a sort of a nail-shaped head for your dowel and glue it onto that, rather than flat on the side. You can tilt it a little, but not too much.

orange-gerbera-daisy_422_15551.jpg orange-gerbera-daisy_422_15551.jpg  (27 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

MeghanWMI
Posted: Friday May 17, 2013 9:29 AM
View users profile

You can attach a wire the same way you would for the Briar Rose. Bend the end of the wire into an L shape push through the petal layers (through the hole in the center of the flower former cup) before adding the center of the flower. Make sure you let it dry COMPLETELY before taking it out of the cup, or it will break and ruin all your hard work and effort!

Report Violation

Bottom

PattyDif
Posted: Sunday March 09, 2014 8:54 PM
View users profile

What a great tutorial. Thank you!

Report Violation

Bottom

Aunt Tilly
Posted: Tuesday March 11, 2014 3:20 PM

Meghan ~ would you use something more than just that wire to support a very heavy flower sitting like a plate on that wire? Seems like it would need something like a drinking straw either wrapped with floral tape or thin green fondant, with some RI or melts at the upper end to 'glue' the wire into (like a support for a cake tier). I agree that the L-shaped looped wire would be good for getting the flower wired initially. Good call!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Advanced Gum Paste Flowers Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: