skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Advanced Gum Paste Flowers Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Former WM Instructor - Interested in Course 4 w/o retaking 3
Created On Thursday April 19, 2012 12:16 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

DutchessPDX
Posted: Thursday April 19, 2012 12:16 PM

So, I'm a former WM instructor here. I took the three courses when I finished my undergrad degree and really loved them and was something of a natural at it since I've always loved to bake. The teacher retired shortly after and she remembered me and gave me a call. So, after a little training with her I started teaching them. I taught them for a few years in CA and had a great time but stopped when I started my MBA program.

Just found out they changed up the courses and I really would like to learn to do gum paste flowers. Has anyone else taken course 4 without taking course 3? If I take course 3 I'm worried I might be a little bored since I've made many fondant cakes in my life (though it has been a couple years) and made my brother's wedding cake (5 tiers!).

How much of course 3 is working with gum paste? 1 session? 2 sessions?

I've thought about buying the course 3 book and working through the gum paste sections independently and then taking the 4th class.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Thursday April 19, 2012 3:41 PM
View users profile

I'd just go ahead and buy Book 3, read through it like you said. Practice making the GP flowers. Watch a few YouTube videos so you can see what they're talking about. I'm sure you'll be able to pick it up just fine.

And you can take Course 4 without take Course 3. We've got a gal in our Course 4 class who hasn't yet taken Course 3.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedecofun
Posted: Thursday May 03, 2012 2:37 PM

Hi DutchessPDX,

Remember when you taught the Course with the bow and the tiered cakes? You did work with gum paste at that time it just wasn't the RTU kind that Wilton sells now. We made it using fondant and Gumtex and with that we made the rose and the bow.

I think you would do well in course 4 because I know you can do it!! Just make sure you get a syllabus when you sign up for the course and bring everything it tells you to bring. Let us see your lovely flowers when you finish.

When you take the course, you will get a copy of the Class Lesson Plan and I know you will be able to do these.

Good luck and have fun,
ml

Report Violation

Bottom

Chewy Chunkies
Posted: Wednesday May 09, 2012 6:45 PM

I don't think it is required that you take course 3 in order to take advanced gum paste. At least at the Joann's I work at. We pretty much let anyone who pays take whatever class they want

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Saturday May 19, 2012 4:43 PM

Of course if someone hasn't had any experience with gum paste flowers, course 3 is helpful to have under your belt, so to speak. But if you've taught cake decorating before for Wilton, I think you could easily handle the class with no problem.

I say go for it DutchessPDX!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

rowantree
Posted: Tuesday July 03, 2012 3:44 PM

Hi, I'm a new WMI at Michael's and the new Course 3 is mostly flowers. The Course 4 flowers are all wired gum paste flowers, but in Course 3 you get all the basics. It's a nice brush-up before the Advanced class if you have time for it, but not essential.

Report Violation

Bottom

rowantree
Posted: Friday September 07, 2012 3:12 PM

You can take it without having taken any of the other classes. It has become my favorite class to teach! Course 2, Flowers and Cake Design starts out with gum paste flowers in the first class, but changes over to all royal icing for the rest of the flowers. Course 3 does a few flowers and then more fondant.

If you are just starting out all over again, you might want to take all the new classes. There have been quite a few changes.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Advanced Gum Paste Flowers Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: