skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Advanced Gum Paste Flowers Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: student kit inquiry
Created On Tuesday February 07, 2012 12:58 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

Mich_Tal
Posted: Tuesday February 07, 2012 12:58 AM

Hi,

I would like to know if I can get the Gum Paste Flower Cutter Set instead of the student kit. I can purchase the rest of the stuff required that doesnt come with the kit like the florist tape and wire etc.. I already have the ultimate tool set.

Also, does anyone know where I can get the sweet pea cutter? wilton doesnt seem to have it anywhere on the site.

Thanks

Mich

Report Violation

Bottom

cutedoggie
Posted: Tuesday February 07, 2012 4:14 AM

Joann's and Michaels both sell the Sweet Pea cutter! The price is 2.49.

Report Violation

Bottom

auntsusan
Posted: Tuesday February 07, 2012 7:18 AM

Don't know where you are and what stores are near but, AC Moore carries the Sweet Pea cutter also. Have fun in the class!

Report Violation

Bottom

QuebecGirl
Posted: Tuesday February 07, 2012 8:59 AM
View users profile

Mich, welcome to the forums

I had to go to a Joann's that carries alot of caking stuff in order to buy everything "a la carte" like you wish to do.

I saw Wilton products there that are not on this site for some reason, hopefully Wilton's .com department will update the website soon.

Report Violation

Bottom

shopgal247
Posted: Tuesday February 07, 2012 9:19 AM

You also need to purchase the 4inch flower formers. I took the class last night and our instructor said you only needed them for the first class. I also didn't buy the kit, I have the Gum Paste Flower Cutter Set. I purchased the sweet pea cutter at JoAnn's but you also need a some sort of Rose cutter that you can't purchase alone. And you the needle nose pliers do come in handy!

Report Violation

Bottom

shopgal247
Posted: Tuesday February 07, 2012 9:22 AM

Sorry for my "fast" typing errors. If you haven't taken the class yet, just a word of advice....I have short to medium acrylic nails, It was alittle hard wrapping the florist tape around the wires. Just saying...lol

Report Violation

Bottom

Leucippus
Posted: Tuesday February 07, 2012 1:34 PM

You can find some answers to your question on the Wilton Website at the following link.

It gives some answers to frequently asked questions such as if you have the gumpaste flower making kit do you need to also buy the course 4 kit, etc.

http://www.wilton.com/classes/wmstudents/advanced-gum-paste-flowers-faqs.cfm

Report Violation

Bottom

QuebecGirl
Posted: Tuesday February 07, 2012 2:09 PM
View users profile

I didn't see the Rose Petal Cutter at the store. Hopefully they will have it by this weekend, that's the one thing I still need. When I look at the picture of the content of the student kit box, I find that I have all the cutters illustrated already, including the top left one, and that seems to be the rose petal cutter - the Gum Paste Flower Cutter Set has 2 different sizes of this cutter.

I am so glad I took the once a week course instead of twice a week, it seems like there will be a bit of homework that needs time to dry! Can't wait to get started

Report Violation

Bottom

shopgal247
Posted: Tuesday February 07, 2012 4:06 PM

You can't purchase the rose cutter that is needed for class by it self, you can only get it with theCourse 4 kit

Report Violation

Bottom

cutedoggie
Posted: Tuesday February 07, 2012 11:04 PM

This very nice woman named Toni who works in the educational department is aware of the situation regarding the rose petal cutter not being available. I am not sure what Wilton is going to do about it but from my understanding the Wilton educational department was to have sent out an email to the instructors on what the solution was going to be or a temporary fix. Ask your instructor to contact Wilton if she doesn't know what the answer is regarding the cutter.

I think you can use the small rose cutter and cut it into pieces. If you have the new Flower Kit that was released last June look on page 25 and see how that cutter is used and cut into pieces. The one petal piece is the same size as the small rose petal cutters.

Report Violation

Bottom

Mich_Tal
Posted: Wednesday February 08, 2012 12:24 AM

Thank you so much for replying.. I will surely check Joanns and see if they have it..depending on whether i buy the student kit or no.. still contemplating!

Report Violation

Bottom

Mich_Tal
Posted: Wednesday February 08, 2012 12:37 AM

Each of your replies has given me an insight regarding the student kit.. Thank you.. I wil take another few days and decide on whether to buy the kit or get it " a la carte " "-)

Report Violation

Bottom

QuebecGirl
Posted: Wednesday February 08, 2012 8:33 AM
View users profile

I looked at the instructions in the student book and in the flower cutter set. For the same rose, you simply use the full rose cutter included in the flower cutter set and complete the cut to separate the petals - the instructions are in the book. This gives us two options to make roses.

I am still happy that I bought à la carte

Report Violation

Bottom

shopgal247
Posted: Wednesday February 08, 2012 9:36 AM

I agree with QuebecGirl, I am glad I bought my "stuff" ala carte. The only thing was that in the first night of class everyone's wires were already pre-cut. So it took me an extra minute to cute mine. But I really like having the impression mat that I bought on my own. Don't forget to sign up for the Michael's Loyalty card. You get $5.00 off every class including the project classes that are usually $20.00 (i.e-Tall Cakes Class).

Report Violation

Bottom

shopgal247
Posted: Wednesday February 08, 2012 9:39 AM

One more thing, here is a great link to a YouTube video on how to wrap the flower wires with tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIz6uRwJep4

Report Violation

Bottom

Grammacindy
Posted: Wednesday February 08, 2012 11:30 AM

I purchased the flower cutter set and the other items ala carte. I will just borrow the rose petal cutter from my friend. It is kind of a pain to cut the wires, but that's ok, only takes a few moments.

Report Violation

Bottom

Mich_Tal
Posted: Monday February 13, 2012 6:12 PM

.. All of you rock!!!! thanks so much for all the inputs.. I made up my mind and am buying it all a la carte !! What more.. I got the 50% off coupons for a week.. so i can definitely purchase it with my coupons.. this came in just in time..

I had searched for the sweet pea cutter everywhere..( i think wilton.com is still yet to update it on the site ) just couldnt lay my hands on it. I went to michaels today and saw it in the new item section!!! whoohoo!!!! got almost all my materials to start next week.. What more could I ask for !! Thanks again..

Report Violation

Bottom

Mich_Tal
Posted: Monday March 19, 2012 10:07 PM

Thanks to all those who replied to my post regarding the student kit. Your tips and advice really helped me a lot and I was able to get what i needed. Here is the final project. click on the below link on my facebook page..

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150632498236209.446560.784156208&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=10150761174966209&set=a.10150632498236209.446560.784156208&type=3&theater

Thanks again!

Michelle

Report Violation

Bottom

Bakes_Bunches
Posted: Tuesday March 20, 2012 2:31 AM

Wilton is suppose to make the rose petal cutter available for sale individually.

Report Violation

Bottom

A. Marie
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 1:12 PM

So what exactly comes in the kit? Anything? Nothing? What? Does the book come in it at least?

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Advanced Gum Paste Flowers Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: