skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Pops < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Candy Melts consistency
Created On Thursday August 23, 2012 10:35 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Rosiesan
Posted: Thursday August 23, 2012 10:35 PM

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me.
I'm trying to figure it out how can I make the consistency of the Candy Melts thinner.
I tried to dip my cake pops so many times and the chocolate is too thick that pulls the balls out of the stick.
I add some shortening and it works better, but still kind of thick. I'm afraid to add too much shortening.
Can anyone tell me how much shortening to add to the 12 or 14 oz bag of Candy Melts?
Once I added 1 Tablespoon of oil and the chocolate got hard and I had to throw it away.
I have been using other type of dipping chocolates, but I really like the flavor of the Candy Melts, but if you know any other kind please let me know

Thank you so much for your help

Report Violation

Bottom

Kuchen Pops
Posted: Friday August 24, 2012 12:45 AM
View users profile

If you are using candy melts the white choc and the dark choc should not require nothing more that to be melted. I have never added anything to them.
How are you heating them up?
If you heat them to fast - they will get a burnt thick
If you are heating them to slow - they will get lumpy and thick
If you are heating them in a microwave or on the stove you really have to sure of the amount of time you leave them on the heat as they can become thick if cooked
If you are using a melting pot - you should heat the melts till they get soft and then slowly mix to melt the remaining melts. Never fill the container full to the top do it in two stages 1/2 pot melt mix and let simmer a few minutes add additional melts, mix, simmer and remove from heat. This should give you a better consistency for dipping.
Also note if your cake balls are to soft they will not hold on the stick when you dip them.

Report Violation

Bottom

Rosiesan
Posted: Saturday August 25, 2012 2:29 PM

Kuchen Pops thank you for all the info. I used the Wilton chocolate pro to melt the candy melts, still the consistency is so thick. When dipping the balls the excess doesn't even drip it's so thick. It doesn't look like the consistency I have seen in some videos. I know if they are using candy melts they must added some shortening to make it thinner. I used others dipping chocolates and they are thinner and easy to coat the cake pops, but I like the candy melts flavor otherwise I would it stopped using them.
I will keep trying. Thank you so much for your reply

Report Violation

Bottom

Kuchen Pops
Posted: Thursday August 30, 2012 1:57 AM
View users profile

One thing to keep in mind is that if you heat the chocolate and its too hot from the melting pot, take it and set it on a cozy for 5 minutes or less, mix it, and then dip a butter knife in and pull out if the chocolate runs smooth off the knife then it should be fine to dip your balls in. If its still slightly thick leave for another minute or two.

Another really bad thing is that if your chocolate does not run off the knife, the chocolate itself could be old. I have found that with chocolate that is over a month old really doesn't melt well and will cause the same issue.

Personally I use the merkens candy melts, I find them easier to work with than the Wilton ones.

Report Violation

Bottom

Rosiesan
Posted: Sunday September 02, 2012 11:23 PM

Thank you Kuchen Pops, I will try your suggestion about melting the chocolate, maybe I will use the double boiler for a change.
Where can I find the Merkens candy melts? Do they have a good flavor too?

Thank you so much for your help.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakebakingmomma
Posted: Saturday September 08, 2012 8:08 PM

The weirdest thing happened when I tried to mic the candy melts my mic acted as if I put metal in it. I tried the double broile and th melts got thick and didn't loosen. I have to try again another time.

Report Violation

Bottom

Cakestogoodtoshare
Posted: Monday September 24, 2012 9:35 PM

I always add a little shortening like Cisco , this has worked for me.

Report Violation

Bottom

teresamarie416
Posted: Saturday October 06, 2012 1:41 PM

I'm having the same problem! I melted the candies in a measuring cup in the microwave. On 50% power level, defrost setting for 30 second intervals until they were melted. They just aren't getting the thin, smooth consistancy I need them to be. They keep pulling the pops right off the stick, and I can't even tap the excess off! When I melt regular chocolate chips, they come out so smooth and silky, this just never works for me! I need the different colors, thats why I'm using the Wiltons as opposed to the regualr chips. I tried the shortening trick too, but i still put a knife in the chocolates, pull it out, and its sticking to the knife. Plus these are brand new bags that I just bought today! I hope there is a way to make this work!

Report Violation

Bottom

Kuchen Pops
Posted: Saturday October 13, 2012 2:28 AM
View users profile

I don't know where you are located but Merckens can be found at our local Bulk Barn Store. The candy melts are really not that much trouble to melt, we run a cake pop shop and use them constantly. Only once in a while do we get a batch that doesn't melt as thin as we would like it to but it is usually the pink, purple or orange that are problem melts so we have found. We have found with these colours to melt white and add the colour melts in to make the colour we want, since white always melts properly.

Using the wilton melting pot, DONT use the melt cycle to melt your chocolate it is actually too high a temp and will slightly cook your chocolate and that could be why you are having a problem with them. Use the melt cycle leave them for about 5 minutes and then start to stir them every few seconds to keep them flowing. Once completely melted remove from heat let sit 2-5 minutes or less and they should be good to dip.

Another point if you are using the pop cakes for dipping then these do not have the same 'strength' shall we say of a cake pop. A pop cake has nothing to bind it nor keep it firm enough for dipping and will more often than not fall off in your pot of chocolate.

I know a lot of people swear by putting their rolled cake pops in the fridge or freezer, but trust me if you have the right consistency of chocolate you should never have to put anything in the fridge or freezer to make it work. We never do.

Also a lot of people follow the recipe on line for making the cake balls and if you add as much icing to your crumbled cake as they say to you will have nothing but mush and it will not hold on a stick when you dip it. The cake itself will bind, you only need the icing to give it a sweet taste, or if your baked cake is really dry to bind it. Usually a tablespoon or two will do it.

We hold regular cake pop classes, I wish you could come to one, we have never had a dissatisfied student, but rather extremely happy ones. Its so much different when you work with someone and they can show you all the tricks to dipping. The number one comment we get is "I tried it at home and it was a disaster, I'm so glad I came to your class"

I hope you have better success with your next batch - it truly is an art to dipping, but once you get it, you've got it.

Report Violation

Bottom

Kuchen Pops
Posted: Saturday October 13, 2012 2:36 AM
View users profile

Beware the candy melts and microwaves: If heated to high they will burn. Never put in a sealed container it will burst. Melt no more than 1/4 to 1/2 pound in an open dish.

Do not use a container that is tall. The reason being is that your microwave will heat from the centre out if your dish is too deep it will cook the centre before it even melts the outer ring and will cause it to cook or burn.

Don't put your dish in the centre of your microwave but rather on the outer edge of your revolving plate. This will allow it to melt more consistently.

NEVER leave your microwave unattended when melting chocolate, it burns very quickly. Heat in intervals of 15 seconds if your microwave is a high power one, 20 seconds if medium power, and 25 seconds if low power.

ALWAYS stir your melts between heating's. What most people don't realize is that melts don't melt till you touch them, they will keep their shape even after they have been heated. So if you still see melts in one piece you could be heating them to much when they are already melted.

Hope this help you guys.

Report Violation

Bottom

Rosiesan
Posted: Saturday October 13, 2012 9:29 PM

Kuchen Pops thank you for the information. I wish I can go to your class, but I live in Houston, TX. If there is another way to learn from you let me know, please.

Report Violation

Bottom

Sunflower13
Posted: Saturday October 13, 2012 10:32 PM

I'm new to this forum thing so I'm not even sure I'm in the right place. I just got a baby cakes cake pop maker and made my first cake pops today. It was not as fun as I'd hoped it would be! I followed the recipes in the book but the cake mix was very think and difficult to get into the wells. It took so long to fill the wells that some of them were starting to cook before I got them all filled. It was such a mess yet somehow they still tasted good. Is the batter supposed to be that thick and sticky and difficult to work with?

Report Violation

Bottom

baking Bernie
Posted: Friday January 03, 2014 12:26 PM

I use box mixes and fill the wells with a squeeze bottle. I had the same problem with them starting to cook when I tried using anything else. good luck. I started with the mini pops and now bought the regular one, but haven't tried it yet.

Report Violation

Bottom

bettycece
Posted: Thursday February 06, 2014 9:58 AM

THANK YOU Kuchan pops... you gave us such great tips!!! Do you have facebook? Would love to see your work!

Report Violation

Bottom

batter
Posted: Thursday April 10, 2014 3:02 PM

Kuchen Pops wher are you located, I would love to come to your classes.

Report Violation

Bottom

Mronquillo
Posted: Friday May 23, 2014 12:19 PM

I am a big fan of Bakerella and have been doing a lot of her cake pops designs.
According to Bakerella, she suggests to use paramount crystals in order to make the candy thinner.
Hope this helps!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Pops < REFRESH >
Navigation: