skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Pops < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How many of you actually use a cakepop machine v. making them by hand?
Created On Tuesday June 26, 2012 11:49 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

emmer_d
Posted: Tuesday June 26, 2012 11:49 AM
View users profile

I'm contemplating buying a machine like the one from Baby Cakes, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Plus, I have a VERY tiny kitchen w/ little storage.

If you roll your own, do you have any tricks for making a perfect round ball?

Thanks!
Emily

Report Violation

Bottom

rollingpops
Posted: Tuesday June 26, 2012 1:00 PM

I have never made them using the cake pop maker but i have tasted them and to me they are completely different. the one made by machine are just cake so they aren't really moist and chewy like the hand rolled ones with icing. I have also heard that you can get "saturn" rings around the ones with the cake pop maker so it's not a sure bet you will have a perfect ball.
To try and get my balls as smooth as possible, I do not use any of the brown parts of the cake so I usually cut off the edges. I also use a food processor to get my crumb very fine. Then I just roll in between my hands and try to get them as round as I can. I insert my sticks on the flat part that forms where the ball was sitting on the sheet while chilling and I place the ball in the cup of my palm so that I don't make any new indentations with my fingers. When you are dipping, make sure your chocolate is proper consistency and I constantly twirl and tap mine so the chocolate drips off smooth. When I get all the excess off I turn it upside down and tap the bottom of the stick to get that last little drip to settle in. I have done cake pops about 25 times now and no matter what, there are always a few casualties, so don't let that discourage you!
I really prefer making them by hand and think it is a lot of fun.

Report Violation

Bottom

CollectorEJ
Posted: Sunday October 14, 2012 9:06 PM
View users profile

I've seen the cakepop machine and I decided that I wouldn't use it enough to pay for it (that was before we added three more children to our family, 2 step-great-nieces and a great nephew). What I did do was purchase the Demarle at Home cakepop mold/pan. Made my first ones yesterday. Filled the wells to the top, when they were done waited a few minutes, poped them out. When they were completely cooled I cut off the parts that had overflowed the wells and used frosting to put them together. Now I just have to learn how to decorate them.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Pops < REFRESH >
Navigation: