skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Pops < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Cake Pop Help - Suggestions on What I Did Wrong
Created On Thursday February 09, 2012 5:46 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

CherryG
Posted: Thursday February 09, 2012 5:46 PM

So I attempt to make cake pops for the first time today. What a mess!!! I ended up throwing all in the garbage. The just all fell apart when I dipped them. I put in the freezer for about 1 1/2 hours, took out, and inserted the stick after dipping the stick. Then after it appeared to be hardened, I melted the melts and attempted to dip the pops. The first just fell apart, the 2nd, the 3rd, the 4th, 5th and 6th. By then I figured this isn't right. I also dropped and broke a plate when taking some out of freezer.

I'm wondering if I used too much, or too little icing. When forming them into balls, they seemed to be very moist, but didn't want to roll like a ball in my hands. I had to form them the best I could. Also, I think the sticks I bought may have been too big.

Any suggestions or comments, PLEASE feel free to critique.

Report Violation

Bottom

TamiKakes
Posted: Thursday February 09, 2012 8:32 PM
View users profile

Hmmm, I have never had a problem with pops, so I wouldn't really know. How much icing did you use? did you use a box cake or homemade? When I did my first batches, I did a box mix with the store bought icing, I only used about 1/4 of the frosting per 1 box of cake and they were perfect. You don't want them to be too moist to where when you are forming them they are sticky, but also not enough frosting will make them not "form" and stick together. You want them to be almost like a dough consistancy. add a little frosting at a time til you get it right. Also, I put the sticks in right after I form, not when frozen, but maybe chilled in the fridge for about 20 mins. but i usually don't even do that.

Report Violation

Bottom

CherryG
Posted: Thursday February 09, 2012 9:15 PM

It was a boxed cake mix I used, but homemade buttercream icing. I'm thinking maybe I had too much icing. What a waste of time it turned out to be. I searched quite a few sites on cake pops, and even went to youtube, and most said to put in freezer for up to 2 hours before using the stick, then back in fridge, then use the melts. Oh well - live and learn I guess. This was definately the biggest baking boo-boo I've had to date.

Report Violation

Bottom

TamiKakes
Posted: Friday February 10, 2012 6:59 AM
View users profile

I would use bix mix and frosting just til u get the hand of it. Can even buy premade cupcakes, take the frostinf off cumble the cake andd readd frosting little at a time til you get the hang of it and figure out what works best for you

Report Violation

Bottom

Mikkitta
Posted: Friday June 22, 2012 4:59 PM

Ahhh I had that exact same problem the first time I made cake pops. The problem is that most box cake recipes use instant pudding in them but since it is not on the box specifically (more so just the ingredients) it's hard to tell which ones have it and which do not. Try a home made recipe instead. When pudding is used it makes cake heavier so you'd have to do the drizzle method of coating the pops rather than the dipping method (when I dipped I had 5 out of 26 that survived, but drizzling/pouring chocolate on them guarantees they won't break as easily since their weight is not fighting gravity in the same way forcing them off the stick). Ensure they are also properly cooled before coating.

Report Violation

Bottom

lzreet
Posted: Monday June 25, 2012 12:59 PM

I use a box mix and up to 1/3 of a can of frosting. For the cake, I only use half of the amount of oil called for which seems to help prevent seeping of oil from the pops. I use BC mixes. When I make chocolate, I never add as much frosting as the cake always seems more moist. I add frosting until the mixture is about the consistency of playdough.

Hope you try again - once you get the feel for it, they become fun to make !

Report Violation

Bottom

ldaja
Posted: Saturday July 28, 2012 8:58 PM

Omg...I just had the same thing happen to me...what a mess I made...but it was still fun...I added way to much frosting (live and learn) I'm a diehard and I will be trying again tomorrow...I'm also haveing a problem with the candy melts...how do I thin it out or make it look nice and smooth like I see alot of peoples...HELP
p.s
Hang in the beginners we'll get this together
thanks
Lori

Report Violation

Bottom

TamiKakes
Posted: Sunday July 29, 2012 3:14 AM
View users profile

to "thin" out the candy melts, you can add a little crisco to the chocolate or paramount crystals. Only use a little bit tho, as in my experience, it tends to make the chocolate not compleatly harden.

Report Violation

Bottom

ritterwoman
Posted: Saturday August 25, 2012 3:45 PM

ya know. I used to make fudge rum balls years ago with the same method. Bake a chocolate cake and crumble it, and instead of using frosting, I added like 1/4 powdered sugar to it and 1 -2 tsp of rum flavor and then made the dough into balls like cake balls. Maybe if we used powdered sugar instead of frosting it might help.

Report Violation

Bottom

Kuchen Pops
Posted: Thursday August 30, 2012 2:03 AM
View users profile

Use 1/2 the oil called for on the box and substitute the remaining liquid with water.
Only use 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of icing to mix the crumbled cake
That should give you a better consistency and you won't need to refrigerate or freeze your balls before dipping them.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedreamer101
Posted: Sunday December 16, 2012 11:28 AM

My thinking is that if you used frosting in the cakepop itself or to anchor the stick in the cakepop, then as the pop thaws for dipping, the frosting will too and not be solid enough to hold it on the stick. I haven't done it yet, but I'd think that dipping the stick in the melted 'melts' as an anchor would work better. It would stay solid while the rest of the cakepop thaws. Not a big fan of the crumbled cake/frosting blend cakepops... way too sweet!

Thoughts?

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Pops < REFRESH >
Navigation: