skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Baby Cakes Cake Pops
NannieVannie 10/22/2011 7:11 PM
I purchased the Babycakes cake pop maker last weekend and this is the 3rd batch I have made in a week....and to think I used to crumble up cooked cake and mix with frosting and then dip !!!! The Babycakes pop maker is a life saver....in less then 30 minutes I had baked over 3 dozen cake balls....and all from a Jiffy cake mix !!!!! How could it be any easier than that????? Mixed the cake mix, poured into a piping bag, snipped of the end, filled the pop baker and 4 minutes later had a dozen perfectly cooked cake balls. After cooling I dipped lollipop sticks in melted candy melts, stuck in the cake balls and into the fridge for 15 min...out they came, dipped into melted candy melts again, stood them up to dry and then applied the stripes....let them dry overnight and applied oyster color luster dust...bagged them, tied them, stuck them and delivered them to my mother for her 80th birthday......(we had a huge party 2 weeks ago as a surprise so today was just for a treat !!!)
I am hooked on this pop maker....wished I had bought it years ago....can't wait to make some Halloween pops.

Attached is the picture of the pop bouquet that I took to my mother for her birthday...
Attachments:
furball 10/23/2011 7:46 PM
I got my Babycakes machine 2 weeks ago. Wow! It was fast & easy! Your pops are awesome! Did your cover them overnight with anything while the dried? Also, I used candy melts & thinned it out with shortening, but it didn't come out smooth. How did you get yours so smooth?
NannieVannie 10/24/2011 9:39 AM
furball....no I did not cover them....I put them into the microwave (not on of course!!!!) overnight to let them dry and then I dusted them with luster dust to make them shine......I used paramount crystals to thin the candy melts....I do mine a little different than most...I thin the candy melts and then dip them at least 2 times and sometimes for the lighter color of melts I may dip them 3 times.....on this last batch I then used the chocolate color to add the stripes.
Thanks for the nice comment...,
BooBear 10/25/2011 7:10 AM
Beautiful pops!!!!

I bought the BabyCakes cake pop maker on Sunday while in New Jersey. I live in Canada and when this trip came up I knew exactly where I wanted to go...Bed Bath and Beyond. I also picked up the mini donut maker, since I make allot of treats for church and school.
ritterwoman 10/29/2011 11:24 AM
FYI Kmart has a cake pop maker going on sale tommorow for $17.99
granamiere 10/29/2011 12:46 PM
ok, what the heck am I doing wrong? I bought the baby cake machine and they either come out like flying saucers or Saturn (balls with rings). Is there a specific cake mix I should use? Or Shouldn't?

Even after I trimmed the rings off of Saturn I couldn't get them to stay on the stick while I was dipping.

At this point the amount of money I have wasted on mix, the ingredients, machine, and supplies, I could have went to my local bakery and bought a few dozen of already made pops!
NannieVannie 10/29/2011 1:10 PM
granamiere.......

I use the jiffy yellow cake mix (it makes 3 dozen) and I have also used the recipe in the book that comes with the machine.....after mixing the cake mix I pour it into the plastic decorator bags (you could use a zip lock bag as well) and snip of the end.....squeeze about a tablespoon of batter into each well but DO NOT over fill...I actually measured out a tablespoon the first time just to see where the fill line was for each well....the wells should not be filled to the top....about a 1/16th of an inch from the top is perfect....when you lock the lid down make sure that it is lined up and not off set (that will cause the balls to rise off center).

I DO NOT preheat my maker either, I have found that they over cook if I preheat so......I fill the wells, latch the lid, plug it in and set the timer for 5 minutes and unplug and they are perfectly cooked.....

For the next batch I leave the machine unplugged for a few minutes, then fill again, plug it in and this time only set the timer for 4 1/2 minutes and they are perfect every time......

I let the balls sit overnight before trying to set in the sticks.....then I dip the sticks into melted candy melts (about 3/4 of an inch) and stick them straight into the balls....then into the fridge for 15 minutes to set the candy and then I dip them into more candy melts with paramount crystals added so that the candy melts are thinned out.....this way the candy coating is not too heavy for the cake pop.....back to the fridge for a few minutes and then I dip them again to get another coat of candy melts....I then let them sit overnight again before decorating.

Hope this helps !!!! Good luck...let me know how you make out if you decide to give it another try !!!!!
NannieVannie 10/29/2011 1:12 PM
Cake pop maker still cheaper at Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon or $5.00 coupon. Happy shopping for them
NannieVannie 10/30/2011 3:59 PM
These are the "one eyed monster" cake pops that I made for a neighbor for Halloween....
Attachments:
cupcakeliz 10/31/2011 2:32 AM
hi any where in uk you can buy babycakes pop maker thanks
NannieVannie 10/31/2011 7:47 AM
I have no idea as I am in Florida but I am sure you can purchase off the internet.
dodie's delights 10/31/2011 12:31 PM
So you do add the icing in with the cake mix and then bake? I just assumed that you just used cake mix only and that is what is so good about the pops is they are moist with the icing in the cake mix.
NannieVannie 10/31/2011 1:27 PM
dodie's delights......NOOOOO....do not bake the cake with the frosting.....I use the Babycakes Cake Pop maker to make my pops so they are only cake.....others bake a cake, then crumble it up and mix it with frosting to hold it together and roll the mix into balls....I don't like that method because it is too sweet for me. I like the Babycakes Pop maker because you can make 3 dozen cake balls in less than 20 minutes !!!!!!! After the pops are baked and have cooled I insert sticks and then dip into melted candy melts. Let me know if you have any more questions....will be glad to assist in any way I can

dodie's delights 10/31/2011 3:07 PM
That answers my question! Thanks! That is what I thought because so many cake pops I have see have been a perfect shape so I figured they used those pop makers but thought that they had to be making them with cake only. I have had both just cake and the receipe from the Wilton books with the icing in he mix and that receipe people like more because of the moistness? Have you done (or tried) both?
NannieVannie 10/31/2011 3:41 PM
Yes, I have done cake pops both ways....my family (and everyone that I share pops with) prefers the cake alone ones made in the cake pop maker. I have never had a problem with them being dry at all....as soon as they are cool I insert the sticks, let them set and then dip for the first time. I always dip them twice to get a nice even coating. That seems to seal in the moisture of the cake so that they do not dry out. I even keep leftovers in the fridge and do not have a problem with them being dry.
dodie's delights 11/01/2011 1:58 PM
Well I guess I will just have to try it the plain way and see what my "testers" think? It sure sounds like it is alot easier! Thank for your imput!!!
NannieVannie 11/13/2011 11:06 AM
Update on the cake pops......I just (for the first time) made the chocolate cake recipe that came with the babycakes pop maker and it was FANTASTIC....the cake balls came out PERFECT every single time and they tasted GREAT.....I then dipped the cake balls into peanut butter flavored chocolate and WOW was that tasty !!!!!!! I thought the Jiffy cake mix did well but the recipe in the instruction book is the best.....can't wait to try the other flavors
redrose 01/02/2012 3:20 PM
can you share the recipe in the book please
NannieVannie 01/02/2012 4:43 PM
redrose....here you go....Chocolate Cake Pops
3/4 c all purpose flour
1/2 c sugar
3 tbs cocoa
1/2 teas baking soda
1/2 teas baking powder
1/4 teas salt
1/4 c buttermilk
3 tbs veg oil
1 egg
1/2 teas vanilla
1/4 c hot brewed coffee
Choice of chocolate to dip pops into

Directions: combine first 6 ingredients in mixing bowl...mix well...add next 4 ingredients and mix until blended smooth...then add the coffee and mix again only until blended.

Fill each cooking reservoir with 1 tbs of batter. Bake 4-5 minutes. Allow to cool and then dip Makes 3-4 dozen

If you do not have buttermilk pour 3/4 teas of lemon juice or vinegar into a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to equal 1/4 cup. allow to stand for 5 minutes before using.

**** I used the vinegar and milk and the pops were GREAT !!!!! I never have buttermilk on hand and have always used this trick. Works great

Happy Baking !!!!!
Kimberly McGhee 01/23/2012 2:59 PM
I have just started to make cake pops and did not realize how time consuming they were but my kids love them. I was wondering how well these cake pop makers work, and if they do save you time? I have a soon to be 6 year old that wants me to make them for her birthday party Feb 5th and it would be great to save some time. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks :o)