skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Has anyone frozen cake pops?
Stephanie72 06/09/2011 1:25 AM
I've mad a ton of cake pops but I've never frozen any after they've been dipped and decorated. I have someone asking if they can be frozen. My worry about doing so would be the condensation that develops when defrosting them. I'd think that any sprinkles that were on them would bleed color because of the moisture.

Has anyone frozen them and if so, how did it go?
bunnywoman 06/09/2011 8:37 PM
If you want to freeze them I would suggest you freeze them in a freezer Ziploc or an air tight container undecorated.

Chocolate will get a funky grayish-whitish color to it once frozen. Chocolate does not freeze well. Plus if you use rainbow sprinkles the colors will bleed out onto the chocolate when the condensation sets in. All making for a not very pretty presentation.

I wouldn't recommend freezing them all decorated up. Sorry
girlsbake 06/30/2011 9:53 PM
Yes, I have frozen them several times! I put them in ziploc bags. I have not had any problems with running or color changes or cracking, etc. I have to freeze them because I have two little ones and have to do everything several days ahead of time. I just put them back in styrofoam blocks and back in the fridge the day that I am going to use/present them. They still taste good and look good too!
Suzyqz 06/12/2012 3:32 PM
what is the longest you have frozen them before?
Kuchen Pops 06/12/2012 7:35 PM
I agree with bunnywoman I would not freeze them the chocolate doesn't like it and once they hit room temperature they tend to be soft. Here is an FYI for you cake pops when complete and decorated will last in the fridge for 4 weeks or great provided they are in an air tight container. We actually did a test and we had cake pops that were still good after being in the back of the fridge for a year. Why freeze when you have that kind of shelf life.
Kuchen Pops 06/12/2012 7:53 PM
Suzyqz - the cake pop maker type of cake pops do not have a long shelf life. My earlier post only reflects true cake pops baked and mixed with icing. Had I not read another of your posts on a different thread I would not have know that you were referring to cake pop maker cake pops - those kinds of details are important when asking for advice.
zandy 06/29/2012 10:45 PM
hello everyone, It's my first time here at this forum and I do have a question please. When I hear of how much cake pops are going for I am wondering if they are being made from a box cake or are they scratch, I have been making mine from scratch, no cake box.. my icing I put in them is even homemade. It doesn't seem like the price people are saying is enough? Just today I spent 6 hours making them for an art gallery showing ( non- profit) They were gone in the first 20 minutes, but I can not imagine only charging 1.50- 2.00 for each one because I only was able to make 2 batches ( about 70) of them. Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to use the box cake. Need to know there are others out there making these from scratch and what they are charging? Thanks in advance for any help and advice .
Kuchen Pops 07/01/2012 10:32 AM
First rule of making cake pops - you will never be paid adequately for your time. If you base your price on the time alone that it takes you to make them that would be why your pops are more expensive then what you see everyone else charging.
LRae7 07/25/2012 8:54 AM
girlsbake - are you using candy melts or chocolate to coat yours? I agree with what BW says about Chocolate not freezing well, but if you are not using chocolate, then that shouldn't be an issue. Candy melts are different and should freeze fine, I would think.

And when you say you put them in ziploc bags, do you mean individually or do you put more than one in a bag?