skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Pops < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Help with Babycakes cake pop maker- feeling like a failure
Created On Wednesday May 04, 2011 7:17 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Mbranko24
Posted: Wednesday May 04, 2011 7:17 PM

I tried using my cake pops maker tonight for the first time tonight. They were a disaster! I have no idea what my problem is.

My first batch, I didn't use enough batter, and they did nit cook long enough. No biggie, I had enough batter so I tried a new batch. I filled them up higher, and increased my time. Now they started collapsing in the middle and it just felt like they were still not cooked thru. I tried a third batch and they were better, but I feel like the "top" of the pop, if you know what I mean, is deflating or flopping. I am thinking my batter is too moist? I used a yellow cake mix ( DH) and added one cup of buttermilk and a box of instant pudding mix. Maybe the cake is too moist?

Man, I feel like a failure. I am not very good at getting the cake balls formed into a nice round ball (when made the traditional way) and I thought that I would at least be able to handle this. I wanted to make pirate pops for my son's birthday.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!!

Report Violation

Bottom

devildawgzmom
Posted: Wednesday May 04, 2011 9:02 PM

I have not tried making them with a recipe from scratch yet. I used the box cake mix and had no problems with them rising.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Wednesday May 04, 2011 11:44 PM
View users profile

I'm not sure what the problem is...maybe skip the pudding??? Why are you adding pudding anyway? I used Pillsbury yellow cake mix with mine. I filled each well with 1TBS of batter and baked for four minutes. Came out perfect! Keep trying. I had trial and error...I tried using a ziploc bag filled with batter, a cookie scoop and a TBS...I like the TBS best. Don't give up! You'll get it!

Report Violation

Bottom

Mbranko24
Posted: Thursday May 05, 2011 5:16 AM

Thanks Chrystal. I wsa just trying to get a moister cake than just a box mix, but I thin that was my downfall. I have another box of mix and will try this weekend.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Thursday May 05, 2011 8:39 AM
View users profile

Well I've never known a cake mix to be dry, do u will b fine without pudding, plus Pills & BC already have pudding added.

Report Violation

Bottom

BobbieJoeJoe
Posted: Thursday November 03, 2011 1:43 PM

Make a regular cake mix with no pudding.
Fill until almost level.
Bake for 4 minutes.

Perfect every time!

Report Violation

Bottom

Chewy Chunkies
Posted: Friday November 04, 2011 3:15 PM

Another tip (if you want to try it) is filling up a disposable bag and filling the cavities that way, you have to estimate but when you do it this way you won't have a problem, with half of them baking before you finish filling the other cavities!

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Friday November 04, 2011 4:26 PM

I used mine for the first time last weekend. I used the chocolate cake recipe that came with the unit. I filled a pastry bag but the batter was too watery. I had to cover the tip with my finger between wells so it didn't leak all over. Then, when I had the 12 wells filled, I stood the bag up in a glass and it leaked all over in the glass. Maybe next time I'll just fill my glass pyrex measuring cup with the batter and pour it in. They say to only use one tablespoon of batter, but that only makes flying saucer shapes. You do need to fill the entire well up. I'll get it eventually!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday November 07, 2011 12:14 PM
View users profile

I just got my babycakes pop maker today! I may give it a try tonight. However, since I don't need as many as a whole cake box will make, I'll go grab a Jiffy cake mix and use it. Maybe I'll compare the pops I get from the pop maker vs the traditional crumbled cake w/ bc pops and see which I like better. I'll see what my dear hubby likes better too.

Don't you just hate it when you have to work and you have to wait for the evening to do your experimentations? lol I guess work pays the bills, huh?

Report Violation

Bottom

dittomom
Posted: Monday November 07, 2011 8:22 PM

I've had my babycakes for a while now and have learned something interesting. At first I used a cake mix when I made the pops. It makes a lot, 72! I thought they loked good...until I used the recipes in the booklet for scratch cake pops. The red velvet came out perfectly round!! And looked much bigger than my cake mix ones! Next, I made a yellow cake with marachino cherries cut up, and added 3 tbslp cherry juice. Perfect again! The recipe they give for the marachino pops uses a mix. I tried that first and they looked small and not perfectly round.
I think the cake mixes are just too thin. You may have luck with them. I may use them if I need to make a lot for a kids party.
Oh and I filled right up to the top of the well.

Report Violation

Bottom

ritterwoman
Posted: Tuesday November 08, 2011 4:52 AM

How big do they turn out in the babycake cake pop maker? I am thinking about getting this. I have no prob making them the regular way, but I know some people do not like frosting at all.

Report Violation

Bottom

camicake
Posted: Wednesday November 09, 2011 3:27 PM

I was so glad to hear all of these comments! I bought the babycakes pop maker too, and felt like a complete failure - the ones I made were terrible - half didn't rise, the rest were black on one side and barely cooked on the top, and they were taking way longer than 4 minutes! I did notice my green light did not work (right out of the box!) So after my repeated failure with it, and having to throw them all away, I exchanged it. I haven't used the new one yet because the first one was such a disaster, but maybe I will give it a try again!

Report Violation

Bottom

baking Bernie
Posted: Friday January 03, 2014 1:31 PM

I tried one today with yellow cake and pistachio pudding and not only did they deflate like a balloon, they "popped" in the maker lol If you figure it out, let me know what works because I loved the pistachio cake flavor.

Report Violation

Bottom

baking Bernie
Posted: Friday January 03, 2014 1:34 PM

i must add that I also tried a box mix of devils food cake (which is really moist) and a lemon cake. both these worked just fine.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakepopkat
Posted: Tuesday February 25, 2014 6:36 PM

I just used my babycakes pop maker for the first time today.

I bought a pillsbury cake mix and vanilla pudding.
I put cake mix, pudding, 3 eggs and 1 cup of milk(how much water it wanted me to add, I added milk instead).
My pops came out perfectly.

You didn't mention if you added eggs or not.

Hope they turn out better next time.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Pops < REFRESH >
Navigation: