skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Pops cracking
ann marie 24 12/30/2010 8:16 PM
Hello! I have made a few batches of cake pops and find that the outer shell cracks on some of them. Has anyone else had this happen? I am wondering if there is a way to prevent this. Thanks!
bunnywoman 12/31/2010 12:58 PM
Thin your chocolate down a little. Sounds like it is too thick.
Spaffy 01/01/2011 4:04 PM
Also if you are putting your pops in the fridge or freezer before dipping them they may be too cold when you dip them and cracking the coating.
Baker_Laney 01/01/2011 4:44 PM
My first batch did that too. I had to keep thinning my chocolate down and then I just redipped the ones that cracked. They weren't pretty, but they ate just the same.
ann marie 24 01/01/2011 4:46 PM
I do put some shortening in the melts, probably 1 Tbs to 1 bag of melts. I will try more. Thanks.
mmumsie 01/01/2011 6:32 PM
I prefer to thin with paramount crystals for a smooth thin consistency.
Stephanie72 01/09/2011 11:44 PM
They are cracking because they're too cold when you dip them in the candy melts. When I first started making them, I'd put them in the freezer and every one of them cracked. It took me awhile to figure out exactly what temperature they need to be at. Now, I put them in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes and they do fine. If I keep them in longer, I let them set out for a bit before I dip them. When I dip them, I want them barely cool feeling. I never have cracking anymore.

Good Luck...it's all trial and error.
prissyjr 01/19/2011 9:41 AM
I have made these several times and they have cracked every time! I have tried freezing them for only 5 minutes and then I just tried refrigerating for only 10-15 min but then they tend to want to fall off the stick. I love these but they are so frustrating. Bakerella's book said not to pack the balls to tight but if you dont then they dont look as smooth when you dip them. I don't know what to do, I am ready to give them up! If anyone has a suggestion I am willing to try it.
khewett 01/19/2011 11:44 AM
I had the same thing happen. So I froze the pops after inserting the sticks and then let them sit out for about 15 minutes before dipping. Then I used a thinned down chocolate when I dipped. Most of them came out fine. For the few that didn't I simply redipped them and they were fine the 2nd time.

If the balls are falling off the sticks you have two possible solutions. First, decrease the amount of icing you're using. My last batch was 1 cake and only 3 or 4 tablespoons of icing. That helped tremendously. Second, someone here told me to re-chill them after inserting the sticks (tips dipped in chocolate, of course) and that helped tremendously as well.

Practice makes perfect with these things. And just remember: even if you get something wrong you get to eat your mistakes!
prissyjr 01/19/2011 11:58 AM
Thank you so much k, I will def try these suggestions. As far as eating the mistakes there were far too many mistakes to eat....lol
Kuchen Pops 01/21/2011 9:53 PM
Cooling your cake balls in the fridge works much better than freezing. Granted you need a little more patience but its worth the wait. Taking out 6 to 12 balls at a time and doing your coating will provide you with a consistent dipping experience as once the balls warm up to much it is harder to dip.