skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Flowers & Cake Design Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Cake Pan
Created On Sunday August 19, 2012 3:32 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Kayster
Posted: Sunday August 19, 2012 3:32 PM

I noticed during course 1, when i went to bake my cake, it wasnt all that tall.
Even with baking two, it still wasnt that tall.
I currently have 2 8x2 pans.

How would i go about making it taller for this course?
Is there any tips how to do this?

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Sunday August 19, 2012 9:05 PM
View users profile

How to collar a cake

Report Violation

Bottom

Kayster
Posted: Monday August 20, 2012 12:06 AM

Thank you
That will help out a lot

Report Violation

Bottom

Aunt Tilly
Posted: Monday August 20, 2012 12:45 AM

I have to admit, I've never collared a baking pan but it sure seems to do the trick for allowing batter to rise higher. Quite frankly, I use 3" high pans for all my cake layers. Using a 40% or 50% off coupon from Michaels or Joanns makes them very affordable. At some point, you will have spent more on parchment for collars than the cost of the pan.

What I've seen in this thread that has me very curious though is a reference of using cake nails as 'heating cores'. I'd really appreciate more information on that!!

Michael, that seems to be your amazing idea too!! Would you mind explaining it (for what I'm sure is the millionth time....). Did I mention I'd really appreciate it?? :-)

Report Violation

Bottom

Kayster
Posted: Monday August 20, 2012 1:58 AM

Just wondering exactly the cake nails do?

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday August 20, 2012 3:27 PM
View users profile

Metal flower nails act as heat conductors, meaning that the metal attracts the heat from the oven, helping the cake to cook at the same rate from the inside out as the outside in. If you've ever had a cake where the edges are done but still liquidy in the center, you'll know what I mean. If you add a METAL (not plastic) flower nail to the cake pan (prepped the same way you prep your pan), before adding the batter, your cake will cook evenly both inside and outside.

Buying 3" pans may work for some, but not for all, plus I don't think that all shapes and sizes of pans out there come in 3" deep.

As with anything, experiment with it to see if it works for you. If it does, great! If not, try something else.

Report Violation

Bottom

Aunt Tilly
Posted: Monday August 20, 2012 5:59 PM

Spooky, is it just 1 flower nail in the middle of the pan or on an 8 - 12" pan, would you use say 3 nails spaced a few inches apart in a triangle shape? I like this idea very much and intend to try it once our heat wave is over!! For now, I have enough cake in my freezer to get by for a while. Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Flowers & Cake Design Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: