skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Flowers & Cake Design Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: royal icing
Created On Saturday August 04, 2012 12:12 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

SandyLee
Posted: Saturday August 04, 2012 12:12 PM

I made my first royal icing the other day, followed the recipe in the Class2 book...I didn't like the taste at all...almost like it had almond extract in it...did I do right?

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Saturday August 04, 2012 1:54 PM
View users profile

That's probably just the meringue powder you are tasting. You can use vanilla extract in it, just reduce the amount of water by the amount of extract you add.

Report Violation

Bottom

SandyLee
Posted: Sunday August 05, 2012 10:28 AM

Thanks for the info...will try that

Report Violation

Bottom

MarieB217
Posted: Sunday August 05, 2012 6:02 PM

My instructor said you can't use flavoring in royal icing because the flavorings have oil in them that will interfere with the royal icing hardening like it's supposed to. Are there oil-free flavorings available?

Report Violation

Bottom

Leucippus
Posted: Monday August 13, 2012 8:13 AM

You are right, Royal Icing does not taste very good. It's the meringue powder. There's not much you can do for that problem. Anything oil based or grease based will cause the icing to run and it won't harden properly. If you are just making the flowers for Course 2, the I would suggest simply not eating them. Royal Icing is hard, and while it is edible, there is nothing that says you have to eat it.

I make royal icing flowers on a cake for decoration only. When I cut and serve the cake I take them off or tell my family not to eat them (because of the taste, and the hardness, don't want to break a tooth or have a filling fall out!!!)

Taste only becomes an issue if you are planning to ice an entire cake (such as a formal wedding cake) with Royal Icing instead of Buttercream. I'm not sure what they do for that, or if anyone still does it. With Fondant, I think icing a cake with Royal icing may have had its day.

Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday August 13, 2012 1:01 PM
View users profile

MarieB, many people use extracts to flavor royal icing. Look at the ingredients of your vanilla extract. You'll see vanilla beans, alcohol, maybe some sugar, but no fat.

Now, you would not be able to use LorAnn's oils.

But yes, you can use extracts. Many people do it. And you'd be surprised by how many people do eat the RI decos. I find that when you place them on BC, they do soften just slightly, so you are less likely to break a tooth.

Report Violation

Bottom

juliana2421
Posted: Saturday August 18, 2012 10:08 PM

I made my first royal icing this week as well. Is it normal to be stiff when you make it (at home) but be a thinner consistancy after about an hour? (when you get to class) So far I'm not a fan of royal icing. Guess I just need more practice with it.

Report Violation

Bottom

Aunt Tilly
Posted: Monday August 20, 2012 12:53 AM

Hello Juliana2421 ~ yes, royal icing tends to thin out as piping continues. Weather and atmosphere of the room has an effect as well. It also changes with time. Example ~ if made on Sunday for a Wed or Thurs class, it may need to be 're-whipped' in a mixer or by fast spatula before loading into a bag. If it sits for days or even a week, it will become more 'airy' with bubbles. Stirring will bring it back to the original consistency. It may need just a few drops of water ~ seriously, drops ~ not teaspoons or anything close to that. Water is an enemy of royal icing even though it's a necessary ingredient.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Flowers & Cake Design Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: