skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: All signed up for course 2
mommy1 07/28/2012 8:17 PM
any tips/suggestions for this course? what do you use the tapered and angled spatula's for in the first class?
tmana 07/30/2012 7:43 AM
They're not really used much except to test the royal icing the instructor makes to explain the differences between royal icing (sometimes called "RI" here in the forums) and buttercream (sometimes called "BC"). Later, they'll be used to fill bags, etc.
tmana 07/30/2012 7:48 AM
Oh, yeah, the other thing: the flowers will not dry by the end of class, and may get a bit smushed (smooshed?) on the way home. You may want to carve out some time at home to practice and to create enough flowers, with time enough for them to dry, to use on your final cake.
mommy1 07/30/2012 8:23 AM
What other items should I expect to buy for the other classes?
Kayster 08/19/2012 2:26 PM
I would also like to know.
mommy1 08/19/2012 2:51 PM
so far besides the first class I've only bought the silicone tip covers for class 2. Royal icing dries out fast so the tip cover helps with that in between.
Aunt Tilly 08/20/2012 1:16 AM
Ahhhhh........I have a great tip for you on how to handle Royal Icing drying out on/in tips. When finished loading icing into a bag and attaching the desired tip, squeeze out just a short tag of icing that will 'hang out' until you're ready to pipe the decoration. Before piping, break off the tag of icing and you've got nothing but fresh icing to pipe!! Any time you stop piping, squeeze out another tag of icing until you're ready to begin again. No need to worry about damp paper towels, tip covers, plastic wrap, etc to keep icing fresh.

As far as other things to buy ~ the parchment squares are about the only additional supplies needed unless you are left-handed. You can also cut them from the parchment triangles in your Course 1 kit or wax paper. They are not an expensive item to buy and well worth it. Oh! if you're left-handed, you will need a Left-Handed tip 59 for the violets. The one in the kit is for right-handed students. Trust me, it won't work for lefties ~ I'm one too.
mommy1 08/20/2012 5:37 PM
Aunt Tilly, I'm going to try your suggestion about the royal icing and drying out!! If I can save $$ here and there I'm all for it...