skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Gum Paste & Fondant Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: SOS blue nightmare
Created On Monday October 08, 2012 12:22 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

paperlace
Posted: Monday October 08, 2012 12:22 PM

I am making my first ever wedding cake. The bride has requested blue roses. I started by colouring 500 gms of flower paste thinking that i would have an even colour for all the roses. But overworked it and had to throw it out. My tutor suggested that i just colour up enough for one rose at a time. but by the time the colour is worked into the paste it becomes unworkable and the paste just cracks.

so far i have used royal blue and ice blue and both colours have had the same effect.

i know that red can make the paste sticky. but does anyone know if blue affects the texture and workability of the paste. so far i have coloured 1kg of flower paste and had to throw it away.

can someone tell me what i am doing wrong!

Report Violation

Bottom

cake-angel
Posted: Monday October 08, 2012 1:29 PM

Are you using gel colors or precolored fondant to color the flower paste? I usually start by adding precolored blue fondant up to a 50/50 mix and then add some gel paste to deepen the shade if needed. The other way is to make a pale blue flower paste and then deepen your blue by either air brushing or dusting or painting with blue petal dusts.

Report Violation

Bottom

paperlace
Posted: Monday October 08, 2012 5:34 PM

I am using a premade white flower paste and a gel colour. I have used the colour with gum paste and is works fine. But with flower paste it seen to mix in as usual but when it comes to working the flowers it just looses its stretch and becomes very crumbly. As I am shaping the petals they are cracking and breaking

Report Violation

Bottom

cake-angel
Posted: Monday October 08, 2012 10:08 PM

Oh dear. I did not realize that you were not using the ready to use gumpaste but a different paste. I still make all of my flowers out of gumpaste so unfortunately I guess I won't be much help regarding flower paste. I had thought they were the same thing.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Gum Paste & Fondant Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: