skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Gum Paste & Fondant Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Fondant bulging help
Created On Friday August 24, 2012 8:48 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

iceycakes
Posted: Friday August 24, 2012 8:48 PM

I am still new at covering cakes with fondant but everytime I do the fondant bulges out on the sides. What am I doing wrong? How do I get a clean straight look on the sides? Thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

cake-angel
Posted: Sunday August 26, 2012 8:44 AM

I am not sure exactly what you mean by bulges. Is it smooth and then after a bit you get a bulge around the center of the sides like the filling pushing out of the cake? Or do you mean random bulges like trapped air pockets under the fondant?

Report Violation

Bottom

iceycakes
Posted: Monday August 27, 2012 8:58 AM

I guess bulging around the center of the the sides. So I need less icing?

Report Violation

Bottom

cake-angel
Posted: Monday August 27, 2012 10:46 AM

It sounds like you are not using the icing dam correctly and getting a bulge once the weight of the fondant pushes some of the filling out of the cake.

Tips for damming successfully:
-Make sure it is medium consistancy icing
-Make sure you pipe it about 1/4 inch inside from the edge of the cake (to allow room for it to spread once assembling the cake)
-Make sure your filling is not higher than the dam itself (think water flowing over a wall - same for fillings)
-Make sure to use a cake board and apply gentle pressure to the top of the cake after assembling the layers, making sure the dam is well contacted to both sides of the cake layers - and then proceed to ice and decorate.
- Refridgerating the cake for 20 mins or so before applying fondant can also help to reduce bulging as well.
-If you are using buttercream as a filling you have 2 options (use a dam and then fill with thin consistancy buttercream or spread medium consistancy as a filling and skip the dam. I find if you skip the dam then chilling the cake is beneficial.)

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Tuesday August 28, 2012 9:52 AM

All great tips here. I pretty much use only buttercream on my cakes (too chicken to try fondant). But, to make sure my filling doesn't buldge out, after I fill and before I crumb coat I put a heavy plate on top of my cake for about 20 mins just to weight it down a bit and make sure the filling doesn't bulge out. If it does come out, I can fix it up, but I think I've mastered the art of the dam (knock on wood)!!!

If it's just your fondant bulging, maybe you don't have enough buttercream underneath to hold it, or just be a bit more firm when pressing it on the sides. Are you using the fondant smoother?

Report Violation

Bottom

iceycakes
Posted: Wednesday August 29, 2012 12:04 PM

Great! I have never heard those tips. I will try them. I don't use a dam when
i'm just using buttercream but I will try the dam. I do push down on the cake after stacking. Its fine until I put the fondant on top then the weight just pull it down
i guess. No I just use my hand to smooth the cake out. I don't have a smoother. Underneath the bulges are piles of icing.

Report Violation

Bottom

tildastreasures
Posted: Wednesday October 31, 2012 3:19 PM

i found that leting the frosting crust well then adding a thin line of piping jel or a a line of VERY THICK frosting around the base then smooth the fondont little by little, cutting extra off as you go then when you get to the bottom that line of frosting or jel will stick the fondont. I think if the frosting is wet at all it gets all gooey and bubbles and gets all icky.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Gum Paste & Fondant Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: