skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Gum Paste & Fondant Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: fondant vs gum paste?
Created On Sunday August 05, 2012 9:45 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

cakes4zkids
Posted: Sunday August 05, 2012 9:45 AM

I have been doing cakes for a number of years, but I am still quite a novice. Please explain, what is the difference between fondant and gum paste? They look the same in the pictures. I have used MMF on a few cakes, sort-of successfully, but never gum paste. The more info the better. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Report Violation

Bottom

cake-angel
Posted: Sunday August 05, 2012 12:20 PM

Fondant is for covering cakes and remains able to cut through after putting on the cake. Gumpaste is designed to dry hard and be rooled super thin. It is used for making flowers and figurines mainly and not to cover a cake with. Gum Paste dries harder and quicker than fondant.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes4zkids
Posted: Sunday August 05, 2012 1:06 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, and I thought of one more thing. Are they both edible?

Report Violation

Bottom

cake-angel
Posted: Monday August 06, 2012 9:48 AM

Both are edible. Fondant generally has a sweet mellow vanilla flavor and gumpaste is sweet but does not really have a flavor. If you make your own fondant you can add different flavors. Gumpaste decorations are not often eaten as they don't taste like much and they are usually "too pretty to destroy".

Report Violation

Bottom

Buttercream_Queen
Posted: Friday August 17, 2012 2:09 PM

When you are making flowers for your cake it is easier to use a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant together. The gumpaste makes the fondant harden quicker and the fondant prevents the gumpaste from drying out too quickly before you have a chance to shape your petals as you wish. I also like to add Gum Tex to my fondant/gumpaste mix to add elasticity to both for more life like flowers. The Gum Tex is like adding elastic to your favorite pair of jeans, it just gives a little more stretch and give. If you decide to add Gum Tex, it is best to let your fondant/ gumpaste/ gum tex mix sit for 24 hours before using it. I add 1 tablespoon to each pound of fondant/ gumpaste mix. Just be sure to store it in an airtight container and apply a thin layer of Crisco over it to prevent any chance of drying before you use it.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Gum Paste & Fondant Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: