skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: storage of fondant cake decorations
dollarsgirl 08/04/2012 7:34 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am new here, and just have one question for now. I am making a tiered, Very Hungry Caterpillar cake for my son's first birthday party. This is not my first time making and using fondant to cover a cake, but it IS my first time using fondant to create many decorative items to put on the cake. I am afraid to do it all in one sitting because I don't want to run out of time and be frantic. Therefore, I was planning on making all my colored fondant one night this week and creating all the decorations to use on Friday when I actually make and decorate the cake. My question is: If I make the decorations ahead of time (2-3 days), can I store them? And if so, where? I should add that I am making marshmallow fondant because it is easier (IMO), and tastes better to us.

Thanks so much!
dollarsgirl
Buttercream_Queen 08/17/2012 1:57 PM
Yes, you can make your fondant decorations a few days earlier. As long as they are in an airtight container you should be fine. You can also coat them with a little bit of Crisco to prevent them from drying out but be sure not to use too much or they end up greasy looking and feeling. You can make a big batch of fondant ahead of time as well and it too can be stored as above. Once they are in an airtight container you can leave them out on your counter until you are ready to use them.