skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Gum Paste Decoration
bocadots 08/03/2012 1:38 AM
Hello Everyone!

I will be starting course 3 soon, but have started experimenting with gum paste due to a friend's daughter's upcoming birthday party for which she is having a Minnie Mouse theme. Overall I think I am happy with my "practice bow" but wanted to seek advice for making it appear smoother and appearing more clean cut. Any other feedback is definitely welcomed as well! Thanks in advance Looking forward to course 3!
Attachments:
bocadots 08/03/2012 9:31 AM
The bow was made based off of the Minnie Mouse cake page here on Wilton's website and cut from the patterns provided:

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Minnnie-Mouse-Cake
Buttercream_Queen 08/17/2012 2:31 PM
You did a great job! You should be proud of yourself! To help you get a more "smoother" and cleaner cut look that you are looking for, you may want to mix your gum paste with half fondant before you color it. The addition of fondant helps the gum paste from drying out too quickly which gives you a rougher appearance. The fondant helps the gum paste dry slower but the gum paste helps the fondant to dry faster. By combining the two, you get a material that is a happy medium. I also suggest that you roll out the fondant/gumpaste mix on a little layer of Crisco. The Crisco helps you to roll it out more smoothly as well and aids in cutting it more cleanly whether it is with cutters or a knife.