skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Any reason I can't put Gum Paste Flowers on a Buttercream iced cake?
CherryG 04/17/2011 8:49 AM
I am going to make my sister's birthday cake next week, and she doesn't like fondant. I'm going to make gum paste roses. Any reason I can't put them on buttercream, versus fondant? Thanks for your help.
Grnymac 04/17/2011 10:52 AM
I've not tried that yet - love doing buttercream flowers! But I read on the forum somewhere that the moisture from the buttercream isn't good for gumpaste - maybe you could cut up a small piece of foam, stick the flowers in that and add it to the cake with your buttercream? Just an idea, I've been thinking about this myself. I'm sure a more experienced decorator will give us suggestions!
CherryG 04/17/2011 1:40 PM
Maybe I could do a small cake on top in fondant and put the flowers on that? That way my sister would have her buttercream cake, and I could use the flowers I made. There so pretty I don't want to not use them. My buttercream roses are not very good, but the gum paste ones look real. Thoughts, anyone?
workinprogress 04/17/2011 2:58 PM
I don't know. I haven't tried that combination yet. What about royal icing flowers? Those come about pretty too and are fine on buttercream
cakecrazy25 04/17/2011 4:05 PM
I have put GP flowers on a BC cake before. they were fine! Just put them on close to serving. (A few hours advance is ok too!) so they don't absorb too much of the grease from the BC!

HTH!!
CherryG 04/17/2011 4:53 PM
Great. That's what I'll do. Put them on just before serving. I made 8 beautiful pale yellow gum paste roses this morning, and I really want to use them. Thanks for your input everyone.
ponyjockey 04/17/2011 7:41 PM
I do it all the time!! I just wouldn't put them on the cake more then 8 ish hours in advance because the shortening will eventually break the GP down so it gets soft and you don't want to have a soft flower!!
Mikel79 04/20/2011 1:25 PM
No problems! I do it all the time.

=)

Michael