skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Gum Paste & Fondant Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Wire for gumpaste flowers???
Created On Saturday April 16, 2011 11:35 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Grnymac
Posted: Saturday April 16, 2011 11:35 PM

Okay, I've heard several different things about using wire for your gumpaste flowers. In class we use spaghetti or toothpicks - those are great but if I wanted to use a wire what kind can I use? I've seen videos of people using florist wire and florist tape but can you actually insert those into a cake? Would you have to cover the florist tape with saran wrap or something? No rush, just curious about how it would impact my cake if I stuck a florist wire in it.

Report Violation

Bottom

HeatherM31
Posted: Sunday April 17, 2011 12:25 PM
View users profile

I'm pretty sure the people that use wire use the florist wires. I don't think that the wires are "food safe" but I know some people use them anyways. I've also heard of people dipping the wires in melted chocolate and letting them dry before sticking them in the cake. HTH

Report Violation

Bottom

workinprogress
Posted: Sunday April 17, 2011 3:03 PM

My 2011 Wilton yearbook shows them using 18-gauge florist wire and florist tape on a cake on page 34. They do say to put it in fresh flower cake spikes, so maybe you aren't supposed to put into cake.

When I was at Michael's today I noticed that Duff has wires. They are called Duff™ Decorative Cake Wires and they are pre-shaped.

Report Violation

Bottom

ponyjockey
Posted: Sunday April 17, 2011 7:43 PM

The Duff wires have swirls and things like that twisted into them so there are just to be stuck in the cake. I know most people use florists wire but you can probably find food safe wire online!!

Report Violation

Bottom

cake-angel
Posted: Monday April 18, 2011 11:27 AM

Using wires has the advantage of allowing a decorator to make bouquets, corsages, posies or other arrangements by wiring the flowers together for easier placement on cakes. The long flowing sprays of flowers are often wired together and placed in groupings onto the cake. When it is necessary to insert wires into a cake a decorator should be using a barrier of some sort so that the wire isn't directly inserted into the cake. Generally this is done by inserting a straw or plastic dowel into the cake first and inserting the wired flowers into the straw or dowel. If necessary we will pipe some royal icing into the straw/dowel to secure the flower bunch.

Yes, florists wires are what we use for this type of flower arrangements. I am not currently aware of any wire that is labeled as food safe for this type of application. The duff wires are meant to be used for placing the long curvy wires with fondant/gumpaste decore to hang above the cake and are a little too thick to be used for most wired flowers.

In the Gumpaste and fondant course you are taught to use spaghetti because it is easy to break off so that you can attach the flowers to the cake and you will feel safe in knowing that all parts of the flower are edible and food safe. You are not meant to insert the spaghetti into the cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

Fleur de Lora
Posted: Monday April 18, 2011 12:10 PM
View users profile

you can buy wilton floral spikes to stick into your cake and then insert the wires into the floral spike.. I'm sure there are other brands too, I just happen to have a pkg of wilton ones handy

Report Violation

Bottom

Grnymac
Posted: Monday April 18, 2011 12:41 PM

Very informative and helpful information - thanks ladies!!

Report Violation

Bottom

cake-angel
Posted: Tuesday April 19, 2011 11:48 PM

You are welcome!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Gum Paste & Fondant Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: