skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Gum Paste & Fondant Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: refrigerated fondant cake
Created On Monday January 24, 2011 12:25 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

jonesjp
Posted: Monday January 24, 2011 12:25 PM

Hi everyone I'm new working with fondant. I was hoping to stay away from it because I really don't like the taste but I like the end result of the cakes that it produces. After completing a cake if I put it in the refrigerator will the fondant get hard or will it keet it soft? I sometimes watch the cake boss and it seems like they keep all their cakes in the refrigerator. am I right or wrong?

Thanks to all
Josette

Report Violation

Bottom

ponyjockey
Posted: Monday January 24, 2011 12:32 PM

If you keep a fondant cake in the fridge, it will set but not get hard. The only thing that you have to remember is that you MUST NOT touch the cake after it comes out of the fridge. The condensation needs to evaporate and if you touch it before it is dry, you decorations will smudge and you will not be happy. I think that most professional cake people keep their cakes in the fridge because they have several cakes that they have to do and keeping the cakes refrigerated makes sure that nothing goes bad or gets soft.

Report Violation

Bottom

jonesjp
Posted: Monday January 24, 2011 12:53 PM

Thank you and now I understand. If I was to put the cake, depending on the size and height of decorations, in a cake carrier and keep it covered the fondant should stay soft correct?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Saturday January 29, 2011 12:29 PM
View users profile

I wouldn't keep the fondant cake in a cake carrier either. Fondant dries with a crust but the inside stays soft and chewy. As long as the cake doesn't have perishable icing or filling it doesn't need to be in the fridge. A box or other covering to protect it from dust and danger is all you need. A cake carrier will keep everything too soft.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Saturday January 29, 2011 7:19 PM

I agree with cakedujour. Cake box or the counter. Trapped moisture from a cake tote could possibly case the fondant to start melting!!! Just like the Wicked Witch!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Gum Paste & Fondant Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: