skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Gum Paste & Fondant Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Painting gum paste flowers
Created On Tuesday December 14, 2010 1:31 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Suriliel
Posted: Tuesday December 14, 2010 1:31 AM

Hello, I'm new at all this stuff but I'm trying to make some black gum paste flowers for some wedding cupcakes. I was told not to bother trying to make the gum paste black but to just paint it when they're done. I made the flowers but when I paint them they're all shiny and sticky. I used the wilton black mixed with a bit of vodka (I read that on a different forum). I didn't do all of them in case I did them wrong, and I have leftover gum paste so I can redo them if I need to, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice.

Does it dry eventually? Did I use the wrong thing.

Thanks for your help!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakewhiz.com
Posted: Tuesday December 14, 2010 4:02 PM
View users profile

I don't know why you were told not to color your gum paste. I recently made black penguins and I did color my fondant/gumpaste black and it was perfectly fine. You just need to use a lot of black wilton gel color and let the colored fondant sit for a day or two.

Anywho, your flowers will dry eventually and they are only wet now because they have gotten wet. Try to avoid touching them as your fingers can leave little marks on them.

Hope this helps

Report Violation

Bottom

Suriliel
Posted: Tuesday December 14, 2010 5:57 PM

Bah, of course I find that out now that I've made all the flowers white. I should have at least tried. I just didn't want to ruin my gum paste because I had to buy it and it was expensive :( But I think I would have been happier with the flowers if I had done that.

When you color yours dark do you do small pieces at a time or a big lump? And how do you get it to not stick to everything? I did try to color a small piece and it just got really sticky right away. I don't have any experience with gum paste so I just didn't do any more and left it the way it was.

As for painting them, how long does it usually take them to dry? I did them yesterday and this morning they were still sticky. Do they get less shiny when they're dry? It sucks because I'm on a time constraint here, I have to have them done Saturday morning. I also had to do a second coat this morning because there were some streaky spots. I'm getting quite frustrated with this whole thing, I shouldn't have agreed to do this! :(

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday December 21, 2010 9:20 AM

I most definitely color my gumpaste. It makes it much easier that way. Dark colors like reds, blacks, navy, and purples will all deepen in color overnight. I highly suggest you color your gumpaste and then let it rest overnight just like you would when making these colors out of fondant or icing.

Once the petals are formed you can then either dry dust them with petal or luster dusts OR you can make up an edible paint and paint them. Depending on the heat and humidity levels of your kitchen will affect your drying time. Allow at least a week for complete drying time.

I dust my countertop with a mixture of cornstarch & powdered sugar (that I put in a dusting poof). This helps with the stickiness.

BW

Report Violation

Bottom

Suriliel
Posted: Tuesday December 21, 2010 11:47 AM

Thanks, I got it to work after CakeWhiz posted.. I tried coloring the leftover gum paste and it worked great And it wasn't the gum paste that was sticky, it was the flowers after I painted them. The paint wasn't drying (and I definitely didn't have a week to let them sit) so it stayed sticky. I looked at them again before throwing them out yesterday and they were dry finally and not sticky but I think it would have made a gross mess putting them on white fondant because when I touched one with barely damp hands the food coloring paint got everywhere! It was awful. But at least now I know.. it was a good learning experience

I thought I'd mention here too that for rolling out the gum paste I used a silicone mat (mine's from Tupperware but I think they're all about the same) with a little shortening rubbed on it.. worked great! No sticking at all

Thanks for your help everyone I'll definitely come back to this forum again when I need help with anything!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Gum Paste & Fondant Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: