skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Gum Paste & Fondant Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: using spaghetti to make roses...HEADS UP WILTON
Created On Saturday June 12, 2010 8:16 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

chianti
Posted: Saturday June 12, 2010 8:16 AM

In Course 3 it says to use #5 spaghetti to form your roses and other flowers on. It works fine until you start adding your petals and given the spaghetti is fragile it breaks, now my question is why suggest using spaghetti? so i have gone back to the toothpick. Nothing more frustrating than tring to make flowers and the spaghetti breaks down at the base. There are 14 students in my class and you could hear a lot of cussing!! LOL So heads up WILTON!

Report Violation

Bottom

cutedoggie
Posted: Saturday June 12, 2010 9:31 AM

I asked the other day and they said it was because it was a food product. Who is going to eat uncooked spaghetti soaked - if you will - in tasteless fondant and gumpaste? There is nothing wrong with toothpicks as they are safe to put in your mouth and to test your cakes with.

Report Violation

Bottom

chianti
Posted: Saturday June 12, 2010 5:23 PM

well obviously they never tried to make a flower on it!!

Report Violation

Bottom

zara
Posted: Sunday June 13, 2010 12:17 AM

So why not use tin foil or pieces of cotton made to be a bed. The cotton works good for orchids why not roses. I personally prefer to hang my roses upside down from a raised cooling rack, I find it gives the flower a more natural look.

Report Violation

Bottom

chianti
Posted: Sunday June 13, 2010 9:55 AM

good tip! never thought of that............thats why I love this forum!!

Report Violation

Bottom

BabyKay
Posted: Monday June 14, 2010 10:39 AM

Yep, this is how my first gumpaste rose got ruined. My instructor also said that she thinks it's because they want to make every part of it edible.

Report Violation

Bottom

wmi2001
Posted: Tuesday June 15, 2010 10:45 AM

We have been told to use spaghetti because if someone, typically it is stated a child as we don not want to insult any adult intelligence, decides to eat a flower they will not get poked in the mouth or cut their trachea with a toothpick. The spaghetti is said to soften while it sets in the cake, or if you break it off at the bottom of the flower it will soften in the fondant.
I guess the spaghetti is safer than getting sued because someone gets hurt from a stray toothpick.

Report Violation

Bottom

KARENALYNN7
Posted: Tuesday June 15, 2010 11:10 AM

The kind of spaghetti that we were told to use that hold up stiff is called Buccantini. It is a little thicker and has a hole that goes down thru it. That is what we used during our training and it worked great. However, I live in Texas and we do not have anything here like it in our stores As an instructor I explained the reason of why it is better use spaghetti, like getting sued because someone choked. All in all I leave it up to my students. Some use toothpicks, some have been using floral wire and some Spaghetti.

Report Violation

Bottom

chianti
Posted: Tuesday June 15, 2010 11:35 AM

I understand the reasoning behind it, but what do you do in the cases where decorators use floral wires for flowers? or dont they put any wire in flowers? im new at all this decorating so im trying to get knowledgeable about things.

Report Violation

Bottom

Leucippus
Posted: Tuesday June 15, 2010 1:21 PM

I haven't taken this course yet, but one question comes to mind.... Does anyone actually eat gumpaste flowers? And if they do, wouldn't biting into an unexpected piece of uncooked spaghetti be the same as biting into an unexpected toothpick. They are both dry, hard and fairly sharp.

My preference for rose making has been to make them with a toothpick, allow it to dry completely (say a day or two) and then remove the toothpick completely. That way the rose is food safe with no sharp objects in it, such as wire, spaghetti or toothpicks for those who really want to eat them. But like I said, I haven't met anyone who actually wants to eat them. If I make an arrangement, I use floral wire, but tell my guests (or anyone eating the cake) that the flowers are for decoration only and should not be eaten.

Report Violation

Bottom

KARENALYNN7
Posted: Tuesday June 15, 2010 2:18 PM

You would just take flowers off before serving. If you are delivering a cake that has wires or toothpicks, find the person who is actually cutting and serving the cake and tell them to remove before cutting cake. I always tell them how to take tiered cakes apart and cut.to get the amount of servings the cake should serve and where the dowels are placed. I hope this helps. If you would like to email me outside of this let me know. I will be glad to help you and answer questions.

Report Violation

Bottom

chianti
Posted: Tuesday June 15, 2010 2:33 PM

thank you all for the replies...i guess i wasnt thinking that a child would would/could eat a flower with an object inside or anyone for that matter. i agree who would want to eat a hard decoration that probably has no taste.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday June 27, 2010 1:47 PM

Kids will try anything! Everything goes in their little mouths!!!!!

Like was said above it is because then everything is all edible on the cake. If I know it is for a child's birthday party or for small children in general then everything on my cake is edible. That is my rule.

This is another reason why I strongly urge people to not use stick pins to hold ribbon together on their cakes. Can you just see a small child come along and grab that or have a piece cut and served to a small child and having that get lodged in their throat? A little dab of BC or royal glues those together just fine.

Ok...off my soapbox........

Report Violation

Bottom

grouchlen
Posted: Tuesday June 29, 2010 9:20 PM

Tooth picks are wood, which can splinter, just a safety issue.

Report Violation

Bottom

cocoasensations
Posted: Thursday July 01, 2010 3:30 AM

Why not doing this any way?...I searched for forums that can help me regarding this topic and good to know that I only found it here...thanks for this...

Report Violation

Bottom

ahappymomma
Posted: Friday July 16, 2010 9:11 AM

Zara-how do you dry your roses upside down on a cooling rack exactly, I mentioned that I read this on here in class yesterday and everyone asked about how to do that instead of the candy cups that the book recommended and I wasn't really sure how to do that, Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

provenb1950
Posted: Saturday July 17, 2010 7:32 AM
View users profile

We were told to use toothpicks in my class also, but I didn't like the way my flowers laid after they were in the cups.

I bought 20 gauge, green floral wire and will be making flowers this weekend. I'll be sure to let you know how that works. You use it the same way you would the toothpick or spaghetti, so it should be perfect for hanging upside down. Even my instructor said that they should be hung upside down for the petals to
"fall into place" naturally. Let's see!

Hope this helps.

Bonnie

Report Violation

Bottom

cutedoggie
Posted: Saturday July 17, 2010 8:37 AM

I used toothpicks when I took the old course 3 to make my roses. I had no problems leaving them upside down on wax or parchment paper. I made mine in layers and allowed them to dry between the layers so they were easier to work with. This is great of you are doing quantities of them and plus they are not so fragile when you handle them for the next layer.

Make all your little tear drops and let dry.
Make the first layers to make rose buds and let dry.
Make the 2nd layer to make medium roses and let dry either upright or upside down - your choice. This layer is shorter than the rose bud layer.
Make the 3rd layer to make larger roses and let dry either upright or upside down - your choice. This layer is also shorter than the medium rose layer.
Add the throats and/or calyxs if you want.

You will see how much easier it is to work with them!

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Saturday July 17, 2010 9:56 AM

I just make sure that my spaghetti pieces are only about the length of the width of my hands !! i.e. about 4 inches !!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Gum Paste & Fondant Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: