skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Decorating Basics Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Class 1 Questions
Created On Wednesday September 26, 2012 11:59 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

RedHeadedGidget
Posted: Wednesday September 26, 2012 11:59 AM

Hi y'all. Tomorrow is my last day of Class 1 and my friend and I were wondering about how other Wilton deco. basics classes are done. For example, our instructor never brought any of her own tools or supplies, we had to level/tort/fill our cakes before class, never really went over the consistency of frostings (other than pointing to the picture in the book), and really never checked our technique. She'd come by, look at our practice board and say "good job" even when it was obvious we needed some more instruction. If we couldn't get it she'd just say "well, you don't have to do that flower/dot/etc.".

My friend and I were hoping for more hands-on instruction... like, bringing a cake and walking us through the steps, showing examples of the different consistency of frostings, showing more technique, etc.

Is this normal teachings of class 1, did we just have high expectations, or did we end up with a stinker of a teacher?

Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

mommy1
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 9:05 PM

It sounds like a bit of a stinker of a teacher, IMO. My instructor bought tools to ea class. She did use a student's to show the rest of the class. She walked around seeing how everyone was doing and would help up. How did the other's feel about the instructor?

Report Violation

Bottom

WendiWickedCreations
Posted: Thursday October 04, 2012 4:30 PM

Most Important is have fun I survived my first class... yesterday and did really well i might add)

Report Violation

Bottom

RedHeadedGidget
Posted: Thursday October 04, 2012 4:41 PM

There were 11 of us at the beginning of the class, 8 at the end. There were 4 older ladies who loved our instructor - kept talking about how amazing she was. My friend and I didn't share their view. But, whenever the instructor taught, she would talk directly to these 4 women and had her back to our side of the room most of the time. It was kind of weird. The instructor had the right personality to teach, it's just that she wasn't very good at the actual instruction.

At our last class she spent less than a minute showing us the ribbon rose. She said she hated it but had to teach us. So she showed us once and that was it. I was hoping for more instruction than "if you can't get it then you never have to use that technique."

We ended up getting our money back for Class 3. We were signed up for it and decided that we'd rather get our money back and find another instructor.

One poor girl never came back after the second class because she was having such a tough time and the teacher just wouldn't help her. What really irked me was that the instructor made fun of her at our last class. Yes, it was clear she didn't know what she was doing, but that's no reason to make fun of her in front of the other students.

Report Violation

Bottom

mommy1
Posted: Friday October 05, 2012 6:42 AM

Have you complained to the manger? I would. From the way it sounds they (mgr) need to know how the class is being taught. If they (mgr) don't care complain to Wilton!

Report Violation

Bottom

Kattykake
Posted: Friday October 05, 2012 12:36 PM

How awful! Didn't realize how very fortunate I was with my instructor Dawn at Michael's in Freehold. She is the complete opposite of your "instructor." Icing consistency was done first night. Good luck

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Decorating Basics Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: